26" skinny knobblies?

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Following a couple of interesting posts on here about gravel/ cx bikes and the various differences, it seems that the holy grail is still basically a big old steel mountain bike frame!...... Just with the now essential 29er/700c wheels.

As most of you have realised at some point....or if you haven't you soon will, companies who build boutique steel frames are borrowing heavily from old mtb.....they just add a whole load of marketing spin and tell us they have just designed this new concept.......then we all go Ooooooooh......and out comes the wallet. "Stooge" bikes comes to mind! (Can't actually think of a more apt name).

But, one major issue is the problem of suitable knobblies for 26" wheels in narrower ( say 35 /42c) sizes, to do a proper gravely thing.

Obviously, the lack is a marketing strategy; part of the anti 26" leagues mission to clear the world and get shot of all those pesky 26" cheap steel frames still out there.

SO...what narrow tyres for 26" are still out there......even if its only with gravel style little knobs.....

Might help get a few more frames back into use......and stop you spending a grand on a bike you already have in bits in the garage!

Last edited:
Schwalbe CX Pro 26 x 1.35 if you want full on gravel capability with knobs on. Technically a cyclo-cross tyre but very capable. Used for about 5 years on commuter in all weathers. Quite often you'll find them on offer.

Schwalbe CX Pro 26 x 1.35 if you want full on gravel capability with knobs on. Technically a cyclo-cross tyre but very capable. Used for about 5 years on commuter in all weathers. Quite often you'll find them on offer.

+1 for the cx pro, they are surprisingly quick on the road as well as doing what they were designed for

I had a pair on a 700c trackie a couple of years back. Great tyres, but a little thin, both in width and strength. Got a lot of punctures as i recall the casing not being very substantial.

My next bike build will heve Panaracer Pasela Tour Guards 26 x 1.75".

I've never used them before so can't give them as a recommendation and they may be lacking in knobs a bit

Checking in. Could do with something similar myself, in amber wall ideally.

And the continental tour ride, which has more grip on the middle than the travel contact ive been using of late.

Both 26 x 1.75 (47mm)

Back