2003 Castellano Fango

fennec

Dirt Disciple
This one might offend, context first, I use this bike for daily commutes to work, about 6 miles each way, nothing crazy. But about 4 miles of that is railroad gravel and dirt. If there’s construction on the tracks, part of it isn’t even railroad gravel, it’s mild singletrack on dirt. It is built to be practical, not really era appropriate, or showcase style. It’s a mixture of stuff I like, and cheap parts that fit the bill.
That being said, 2003 castellano fango, ie a 2001 Ibis Ripley but with the designer John castellanos name on it. It’s an aluminum softtail with flexstays:
IMG_2368.jpeg
IMG_2369.jpeg
IMG_2370.jpeg

Pardon as it is dirty.
So the drivetrain is Microshift AdventX with the steel 11-48 cassette but the pro shifter, I wasn’t too concerned with weight despite buying a 4lb aluminum frame, it runs a kmc x10 chain, and it’s on a hope evo 175mm crankset with a 34t ring in the front, bottom bracket is a matching hope threaded one for their 30mm axel. Pedals are crankbrothers stamp 1’s.
That’s all been doing me well, got the right kind of range for what I’m doing, I’ve only had to go super low a few times so I could probably do with a larger front chainring like a 36 or something.

The fork is amusing, I needed an uncut fork for this, so I just got one of those cheap Bolany air forks and put fox stickers on it. It’s actually held up really well, because outside of the work commute this is still bombed through the woods sometimes and I’ve yet to really have any issues with it.

Brakes are a premade kit, Shimano mt200’s, though with miles semi metallic pads. The rotors are 160 in the rear and 180 in the front, just cheap no name floating rotors, because they’re blue.

Wheelset is a koozer xf2046 pair, In purple, because they were cheap. I wasn’t originally going to use them for this build, I had them for an entirely different thing, but I couldn’t find the other wheels I was looking for in time and just put them on there, and honestly I think the little bit of purple looks nice. They’re cheap wheels, I don’t expect much, but they haven’t caused me any problems.
Runs panaracer fire xc pro wire tires in blue, though with presta tubes, I’m not a fan of tubeless. I keep a little strap with a spare tube and stuff on the bike.

Seatpost, stem and grips are all Funn, because they’re orange.
Saddle is a Selle italia flite 1990, one of the rerelease ones. Headset is a cane creek 40.
Bars are no name carbon bars, 780mm, they’re fine, I got them mostly because they’re the exact kind of width, rise and sweep I like.

IMG_2303.jpeg
The pictured entrance to a bit of trail in the woods, when the tracks are being worked on. Otherwise it’s on railroad gravel, anyone who knows railroad gravel knows why something like a conventional gravel bike wouldn’t be suitable.

When I eventually retire this bike for this purpose, as I’ll probably find something else I like for the commute at some point, I’ll try and make this either a bit more era, or go the other way and kit it out with generally nicer parts. It’s a little bit odd having a frame like this for what’s effectively just a really rough rocky commute, lights and all.

This one might offend, context first, I use this bike for daily commutes to work, about 6 miles each way, nothing crazy. But about 4 miles of that is railroad gravel and dirt. If there’s construction on the tracks, part of it isn’t even railroad gravel, it’s mild singletrack on dirt. It is built to be practical, not really era appropriate, or showcase style. It’s a mixture of stuff I like, and cheap parts that fit the bill.
That being said, 2003 castellano fango, ie a 2001 Ibis Ripley but with the designer John castellanos name on it. It’s an aluminum softtail with flexstays:
View attachment 837439
View attachment 837440
View attachment 837441

Pardon as it is dirty.
So the drivetrain is Microshift AdventX with the steel 11-48 cassette but the pro shifter, I wasn’t too concerned with weight despite buying a 4lb aluminum frame, it runs a kmc x10 chain, and it’s on a hope evo 175mm crankset with a 34t ring in the front, bottom bracket is a matching hope threaded one for their 30mm axel. Pedals are crankbrothers stamp 1’s.
That’s all been doing me well, got the right kind of range for what I’m doing, I’ve only had to go super low a few times so I could probably do with a larger front chainring like a 36 or something.

The fork is amusing, I needed an uncut fork for this, so I just got one of those cheap Bolany air forks and put fox stickers on it. It’s actually held up really well, because outside of the work commute this is still bombed through the woods sometimes and I’ve yet to really have any issues with it.

Brakes are a premade kit, Shimano mt200’s, though with miles semi metallic pads. The rotors are 160 in the rear and 180 in the front, just cheap no name floating rotors, because they’re blue.

Wheelset is a koozer xf2046 pair, In purple, because they were cheap. I wasn’t originally going to use them for this build, I had them for an entirely different thing, but I couldn’t find the other wheels I was looking for in time and just put them on there, and honestly I think the little bit of purple looks nice. They’re cheap wheels, I don’t expect much, but they haven’t caused me any problems.
Runs panaracer fire xc pro wire tires in blue, though with presta tubes, I’m not a fan of tubeless. I keep a little strap with a spare tube and stuff on the bike.

Seatpost, stem and grips are all Funn, because they’re orange.
Saddle is a Selle italia flite 1990, one of the rerelease ones. Headset is a cane creek 40.
Bars are no name carbon bars, 780mm, they’re fine, I got them mostly because they’re the exact kind of width, rise and sweep I like.

View attachment 837472
The pictured entrance to a bit of trail in the woods, when the tracks are being worked on. Otherwise it’s on railroad gravel, anyone who knows railroad gravel knows why something like a conventional gravel bike wouldn’t be suitable.

When I eventually retire this bike for this purpose, as I’ll probably find something else I like for the commute at some point, I’ll try and make this either a bit more era, or go the other way and kit it out with generally nicer parts. It’s a little bit odd having a frame like this for what’s effectively just a really rough rocky commute, lights and all.
Nothing wrong with that in the slightest. AdventX is a solid drive train, which can't be faulted. I know a fair few folks that like the Big Ali Bolany stuff, can't see how it could be any worse than the terrible retro suspension folks still use. Colours are funky in a good way.

My bikes are littered with mix of generic aliexpress parts, retro bits and whatever I could find when scavenging. Love them all the same

To me this seems a solid workhorse with a bit of fun character too. Good build. Happy riding

Last edited:
Its got a great BikeTractor look to it.

Certainly true when riding on 30mm+ it's not Gravel any more, you need Travel - and air volume to get over it on the flat.
Not many aluminium soft tails out there🤔

The fork is just the biggest surprise to me.
Obviously the major issue with these small name cheap parts is quality control and longevity. My experience may be entirely different than someone who’s fork exploded day 1. But I really do like it.

It sounds like spaghetti, lots of squishy noises. But it feels fine, doesn’t leak anything, holds air and I haven’t even topped the air since I got it now I think 8 months ago.
IMG_2533.jpeg

Same idea goes for the Wheelset, it’s like a $200 new Wheelset which is pretty inexpensive. But it’s also like, it’s wheels. They’re not that complicated. The rear hub sounds super cool and the bearings are still smooth with close to 1000 miles now. It’s definitely better than I was expecting.

It’s been great for the commute. You can kinda see what I’m stopped on in that picture. That’s most of what it looks like on the tracks. Patchy, bumpy, rough gravel. Some parts of it with new gravel are just straight railroad ballast, which is loose and doesn’t have any of the smaller material in it to smooth it out. So the softtail aspect of this bike makes it less of a literal pain in the butt.

Back