I just can’t help myself…

David Reeve

Retro Newbie
I’ve been waiting to have something to post up on Retrobike for quite some while and rejoin the world on old school mountain-bikery but somehow life just gets in the way.

A while back I suggested to my long suffering wife that I was done with buying, selling and swapping bikes but here I am having only 2 months ago shed an ‘87 Dawes Ranger and I seem to have acquired this, a virtually unused 1986 Falcon K2.

They were never on trend even back when they were in the showroom, Falcon might still have been slugging it out with their road team back then but with new, hip brands up and coming and the US leading the way, they didn’t fly out the door.

Nevertheless, they were and still are, a decent machine.

Double butted steel frame, a mix of Suntour Mountech II mechs, Shimano brakes, levers and thumb shifters, the ubiquitous Sakae chainset and that lovely stem. All the bits we all hankered after in the mid 1980’s.

Some work to do on set-up - lose the rack and get some new tyres but I am amazed at the condition its in and it ride perfectly ‘period’.

For the amount it would have cost to buy a 1 decent, modern MTB tyre, I can’t complain.

IMG_0065.jpeg
Next up, I might finally get the Overburys up and restored.

80’s MTB’s are the future I tell you…

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    674.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 3CAC1430-C103-4441-8AD5-3172AC4A151E.jpeg
    3CAC1430-C103-4441-8AD5-3172AC4A151E.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    1,015 KB · Views: 60
Recommendations for 26” tan walls that are actually rideable welcome as the ones on here are fit for nothing except a coast to the pub

Recommendations for 26” tan walls that are actually rideable welcome as the ones on here are fit for nothing except a coast to the pub
I'm a Renee Herse convert, have them on my two most ridden bikes. Incredibly light and supple you feel like you're floating on air, and with decent durability and puncture resistance, but you pay for that package.

You’re right, they are cracking tyres but I’m not sure I can justify spending as much on a tyre as on the bike! I’ll save that for when I bag an early Ritchey or Breezer or the like.

If you have the frame clearance, Schwalbe Billy Bonkers 2.1 are good value and roll well. They are OK on most stuff except mud.

Back