I just can’t help myself…

I really like that! I don't love the colour, to be honest, but that stem more than makes up for it.
It is a lovely thing, not often you see this stem on a bike tbh. As I can see from other threads on here before I got it, there were a few comments about what great condition it's in and it truly is. I hasten to add I did not pay the asking price and think I was lucky because if the chap had put it on at a sensible price to begin with, it would have gone in a flash.

If you have the frame clearance, Schwalbe Billy Bonkers 2.1 are good value and roll well. They are OK on most stuff except mud.
+1 for Bonkers. Great all-round tyre but not very puncture resistant. I disagree with them not being OK on mud 😜 they give me the thrill of my life going downhill on a muddy fireroad, absolutely zero grip slip and slide. It is like sledding.

Anyone had any experience of Baldy tan walls?
Ive used the all black baldy cheap tyres on bikes to be sold, and tan walls on friends who just wanted cheap fix.. heavy but like I said actually smell of rubber.. unlikely to ever get a puncture, and fine in use so far.
One arrived sent double eight, and would not untwist once mounted, polite one line email , had me another the next day to replace.. so from my experience if not bothered on weight which is probably like a budget tyre the bike might of had on the shop floor anyway... worth a punt.
If I had bought this bike it would of already had some fitted I reckon.
It will , like many aspects of retro bikes the older you get remind you of now much things marched forward in the era of 26" wheels?!

First road ride today - honestly it took me straight back to 1986 and riding in the Peaks, although to be honest I would have killed for a machine this good as my first bike.

It might not look much but it would say it rides better than the Conquest I had from 1988 onwards. Good position, excellent width and shaped bars, the fork in particular is impressively direct but compliant.

Nothing replaced so far but I think as a matter of course I will change brake cables, hangers and straddle wires and the throw on both mech levers is too long so I might as well change those cables as well while I am tightening that up.

Even the tyres are good but I have purchased a pair of Baldy’s 2.25 gumwalls with a proper MTB tread as I do intend riding it as it should be ridden and around me in Shropshire it’s both muddy and hilly. Cheap but pretty supple.

I also have an NOS Brooks Conquest which I might add although the existing San Marco is pretty good for me.

Might even enter BOTM when I’ve made a few adjustments.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpeg
    IMG_0110.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    736.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 18
Well, after a long, long week of reporting at the end of financial year, I threw down my quill and ledger and, taking tools in hand, set to work for an hour on Friday.

New cables, straddle wires and nice old style Dia Compe hangers have sharpened up the brakes now the straddle wires are shorter. In addition I cleaned and lubed the shifters and fitted new cables.

The 2.25 Baldy knobblies look good, possibly a bit wide for period but the profile allows the bike to ride very nicely.

Finally a NOS Brooks B17, rather than the Conquest, which I prefer. Funnily enough I also changed a Conquest for a B17 on my do-it-all bike, Eleanor.

Finally touches now - remove the reflectors from the pedals and seek out a longer, period seat post as I am about 100mm over the max now.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    954.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMGP2910.jpeg
    IMGP2910.jpeg