26" skinny knobblies?

For general all round use the Country Rock is an ok tyre if paired with a latex tube. Grip in mud is pants and you might feel yourself fall off the side knobs on tarmac, but they are pretty good for super cheapo tyre. Not heavy either.

26" will be back in a few years as the latest thing, due to words. Am sure the marketing terms "vertical compliance", "superior handling", "lower CofG", and "aero benefits" can be woven into the sales pitch. 650b will remain in the middle between the old new and the new old, as the eternal bridesmaid, because of the word "touring" and 2 french words that are very hard to sell.

Simworks homage at 1.95 is about as skinny as I’ve seen modern-retro tyres go…
They do other wider ones too

Ultradynamico do another 2.2 modern

Also t-one - Terrance is on here I believe

Rene-herse humptulip ridge is 2”+/55mm

*none of the above are cheap

For me the bigger issue is finding a 26” rim-brake rim that is designed for tubeless…

For general all round use the Country Rock is an ok tyre if paired with a latex tube. Grip in mud is pants and you might feel yourself fall off the side knobs on tarmac, but they are pretty good for super cheapo tyre. Not heavy either.

26" will be back in a few years as the latest thing, due to words. Am sure the marketing terms "vertical compliance", "superior handling", "lower CofG", and "aero benefits" can be woven into the sales pitch. 650b will remain in the middle between the old new and the new old, as the eternal bridesmaid, because of the word "touring" and 2 french words that are very hard to sell.

give it a few years, when sales of large wheels start dropping they will need to (re)invent something: 26" are lighter, frames are more compact so stiffer, lower centre of gravity so better handling, smaller wheels are more aero and stiffer so more efficient, etc. etc. etc.....

I was pretty disappointed when terra-one tyres appeared. 2.1 is hardy a retro tyre size, still plenty about including smokes.

My swallow from 87 only just squeezes in 1.95. Ideally it needs 1.75 to give clearance. This us an issue for lots if people running pre 90s old skool retro mtb.

However, im actually after tyres for a 26" gravel- ish type thing. So not looking for 2.1 mtb width......hence tne original question of 1.75 / 43 to 47c ish max tyres.

But as noted above, im clearly not the only one looking!

I also completely agree with @Frankenorange give it 5 years and 26" will be back, as by then the old 26" bikes will have been long scrapped and the marketing BS merchants will need a new standard to flog.

I assume though, it will have through axles, just to bugger up any retro fit options, consigning any remaining frames to the bin. That or 39 spokes per wheel with 12 on the non drive side or some other nonsense!

But i can just smell the hype now....

" 26".....introducing the new standard for agility and precision control off road; combining the benefits of 650b tyre grip with enhanced stability, lighter wight, lower centre of gravity and lower rotational torque needed to fly off the start line......the race winning new standard for supreme technical excellence "

These are the fellas you want if you're willing to pay the price. I used the same ones BITD and they are much skinnier than the 1.9 size would suggest. Plus you get that ultimate Smoke grip.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I haven't heard of Impac Tourpac, but they appear to be rebranded Schwalbe Landcruisers:

Not out and out off road, but I have them on my Technium and they're alright all-round tyres.

How do the cantilevers work?

You don't think I'm using anything as modern as a disc brake!
You Will need a adaptor to move the cantilever or V brakes if you go 27.5. But it Will work fine with 27.5 and 42, similar as 26- 2.1 You do not need more power if you put skinny tires

Back