Wanted Older, 26" wheel, steel frame for the taller gent.....

I've got the BFG's Palomar frame you'd be more than welcome to, Karma thread here only 4130 cro-mo and low end (but still a pre-halfraud's GT with cantilevers). It's tatty but solid with plenty of braze-ons, could be refinished to ape a higher model?

Best of luck finding something a bit nicer though :)

Looking at 26" mainly as i do still ride quite a bit on bridleways, farm tracks and green lanes....or roads as they are known in other parts of the world. Ive got 700c bike with 40mm knobblies, ive been riding it since 2007, but I just find 700c too big and clumsy off road compared with 26" acceleration amd nimbleness. As Im not going over massive obstacles the apparent advantages as 700c roll over are kinda lost on me.

Plus, I've got loads of good 26" wheels, rim and tyres!

The final issue is stand over clearance. As im not road focused, most 700c frames, like the history mans there are too tall for safe off road bail out.

What im looking for is long headtube, with dropped toptube. Kinda like the ridgeback.

I do also have a plan "b" along the lines of my team marin....that take works, but its not exactly elegant. But then strange shaped people cant always be choosers!

But if you don't ask you won't get...and for all i know, just what i need could be lounging on a garage wall unused!

Cheers for thinking of me all of you btw.

The Raleigh Montage frame I have has a 58cm seat tube (centre to top of seat tube) with an 18.5cm head tube (not including the headset).
Is that big enough?
Rich.

Yes.. that's much more like it! I have been looking at overbury as an option. They seem to have more generous geometry!

Thorn went through a period of saying bigger people needed smaller wheels🤔, and that cantis were superior to disc brakes🙄
So it might be worth looking on ebay for a frame from that early 2000s period, as they used some nice tubes and the geometry might well be what you're after

Back