1988/9 Overbury's Pioneer

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Putting a thread here to document the restoration of this bike. Picked up today after winning the eBay auction yesterday. Nice chap who bought it new and used in for years riding around scotland the lake district, including the hellvelyn triathlon.

Its low end Pioneer spec with Exage mountain running gear and mavic oxygene rims. the exage kit will get karma'd at some point - there's no way its staying on the new build

Need to give it strip down and assess conditon and next steps. once the frame is cleaned I can check it for rust and determine whether new paint is needed. Either way I'll build it up and ride it for a while before committing to paint.

First job is to get the seatpost out...

1663013018672.png

So I've got some nice Deore XT 36 hole hubs that are currently laced to Rigida CTX 510s . I think I'd like some wolber AT20's for this build to get closer to catalogue , anyone open to swaps or indeed want to tell me I'm an idiot and the CTX's are much better rims anyway. (I'm a bit vague on pre-90's stuff to be honest, I was happily riding around on a hardrock in '89)

Same size as mine 👍

IMG-20201107-115911.jpg

Well it's mostly come apart. The seatpost, stem and bar ends are stuck fast so they are soaking in plusgas. The bottom bracket was fairly easy.

The handlebars are rusted to hell, so it's the bin for them.

Some guy that worked at an RAF base did it, was through the local shop but he doesn't do it anymore...,. I think he got in trouble 😬

Back