1988 Overbury's Pioneer

Hi all,

Long time lurker posting what will (eventually) be my first proper 'build thread'. A warning for the impatient though; this will be a slow burn as I'm juggling a number of other priorities.

After being on the lookout for an Overbury's for about a decade (and picking up my Andy Powell road bike along the way) I answered a local ad at the weekend, placed by a lovely chap and original owner of a Pioneer ordered in August 1988, according to the receipt supplied along with the frame.

OverburysPioneer.jpg

As you can see its....rough. However, despite a seized seatpost and stem refusing to budge from the steerer it appears to be structurally sound, with only two minor dings in the top tube. OverburysPioneer2.jpg

Importantly, it's my size.
OverburysPioneer3.jpg

The original neon pink paint is too far gone to contemplate 'light restoration' - so I'll be looking for yellow decals from Gil_m and someone that can do neon paint... I'm not sure Argos offer anything approaching a match.

OverburysPioneer5.jpg

Of the parts still attached there's not a lot that is salvageable - which I guess means I have more choice around what to equip it with. It was spec'd with the cheaper Exage group originally.

Anyway, stay tuned for updates and I'd appreciate thoughts on build kit - bearing in mind I plan to use it.

Cheers, Alex

Nice project, and of course the option is there to repaint any colour you like :cool:

Argos being Bristol based would perhaps be your best bet for a full retroneontastical respray. Pretty sure they have resurrected a few Overbury’s in their time. Lovely project! Will be watching with interest! 😎

I would honestly not go anywhere near Argos for a respray, but that's just me - their finishes have a reputation for not being very durable. Myself, I'd be going for powder coating, but I appreciate that might give you a more limited choice of colours or finishes…

Really interested to see where you take this… I'm Bristol-based and may have some parts of interest to you 😁

I would honestly not go anywhere near Argos for a respray, but that's just me - their finishes have a reputation for not being very durable. Myself, I'd be going for powder coating, but I appreciate that might give you a more limited choice of colours or finishes…

Really interested to see where you take this… I'm Bristol-based and may have some parts of interest to you 😁
Interesting to hear that! They use to be great. Wonder if the lowering of VOC's in paint are impacting the longevity of the finishes?

There are some amazing options with powdercoat these days including fades. There was a thread on here somewhere (or another site) with some good references. I'll see if I can do some digging...

These guys offer a lot in powder:
Website isn't the best to navigate.

This is cool for powdercoat
View attachment 774236
That is impressive - particularly for powder.

To answer the other point - I've been more than happy with the job Argos did on my Equipe, but that is a metallic finish involving three coats not possible with powder. If I'm aiming for a 'flat' neon finish powder might make more sense and be more cost effective.

That is impressive - particularly for powder.

To answer the other point - I've been more than happy with the job Argos did on my Equipe, but that is a metallic finish involving three coats not possible with powder. If I'm aiming for a 'flat' neon finish powder might make more sense and be more cost effective.
On that site, there's a video showing a powdercoat frame with a sprayed flashy transparent topcoat that looks cool. Would mean you can also protect the sticker/decals/transfers whatever you want to call them! ;)

Interesting to hear that! They use to be great. Wonder if the lowering of VOC's in paint are impacting the longevity of the finishes?
I've been in Bristol about 12 years, and among mountain bikers at least, the reputation of their paint jobs has never been good. I will ask some people in the know, though…

Back