1989 Overbury's Pioneer 700c

I can confirm that this frame started life as a 26er, I found the traces of where the original brake bosses were situated on the seat stays...

old mounts.jpg

It was very hard to see it, especially with mud guards and rack fitted and before the frame was cleaned. The fork shows no sign of any work, so that was originally made for a 700c wheel. There's no way of knowing whether or not this conversion was done before the bike was first sold, or if it was a later modification, or indeed where the work was done.

Anyone who knows about such things please feel free to shed some light as to the processes involved, it seems to be a very neat and tidy job,.

It's nice at least to know with some degree of certainty that this is/was originally a standard Pioneer, and as much as I'd love to know more about how, why and when the change was made, the mystery only adds to the bikes charm in my eyes.

That's good to know. How tall do yo need to be to ride an 18"-19.5" frame? I'm guessing that a 700c conversion would be trickier with smaller frame sizes?

That's good to know. How tall do yo need to be to ride an 18"-19.5" frame? I'm guessing that a 700c conversion would be trickier with smaller frame sizes?
This is something I'm trying to figure out. Generally 700c bikes, road bikes, come in bigger frame sizes than 26ers, so where my ideal classic mtb frame size is between 18 and 19 inches, in road bikes it's closer to 21.5'', I'm 5'9''.

This bike feels right in all ways except reach, but it has a very short stem and the bars have a bit of back sweep, so it's easily remedied. Drop bars will fix that straight away.

In every other sense the fit is perfect for me, my heels come nowhere near to where the cantis will be, my toes don't clip the front tyre and it feels great to ride.

Frame size shouldn't matter too much, if you want to do a 28" conversion. Because difference in outer diameter is minimal, if you compare a 28"rim + 1,2"tire to a 26" rim + 2.1"tyre. Also the rear triangle length usually doesn't change with the frame size, or does it?

I built this "thing" here, it's a 26" Centurion Titanium (17" frame size I think ) with a 28" steel fork, 28" MA2 rims and a 26 to 28" adapter for the rear brake. The adapter is not on that picture, because it's an old photo. But it's basically a breake booster with brake studs. Mine is homemade, bit iirc Mavic made those.

Last edited:
Gave it a bit of a Spring upgrade taking it a couple of steps closer to its final form, focusing mainly on comfort.
New wider titanium handlebars and riser stem (in preparation for drop bars), my favourite Grab On foam grips, comfy old Turbo saddle and new tyres. I'm also trying to move it away from the 'Dennis the Menace' black and red theme, going for more of a red and silver with some tan.

P1010025.JPG P1010027.JPG P1010028.JPG

These changes really transformed the quality of the ride, especially the tyres, which were expensive but I can see what the fuss is about and after a 10 mile ride this morning there's no trace of buyers remorse. Of course they aren't period correct, neither is the stem, however this is going to be my daily workhorse for at least the next couple of months and so it's much more about the ride than winning concourse events. Having said that if I find a nice period stem with the same rise and reach I'll swap it.

I also changed the cassette, the old one was beginning to show signs of age and a couple of the middle gears were slipping, the new one has very little wear and shifting is now crisp.

Next will be the crankset - I need 175's and have a couple to choose from, then finally drop bars and brakes which I'll do together.

Last edited:
Very cool. I’d take a modded, eminently rideable, comfortable bike over a period correct wall hanging any day of the week.

Out of interest what’s that stem?

Very cool. I’d take a modded, eminently rideable, comfortable bike over a period correct wall hanging any day of the week.

Out of interest what’s that stem?
It's a modern ebay special, cost under £20 new, probably Chinese made although it looks and feels more than up to the task.
Sorry but I can't find the link.

Edit - I found a link to someone selling the same stem, although US and slightly more expensive, without shipping it's still pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back