Reimagining a 1988 Merlin Mountain

Probably should start another thread for this, but if one was looking for a forever bike (not going to rust etc) with a non race geometry to suit dodgy back would this year of a merlin be the sort of thing to go for? Just want no rust, comfortable bike, and to pit something like 7 speed xt onto.

Probably should start another thread for this, but if one was looking for a forever bike (not going to rust etc) with a non race geometry to suit dodgy back would this year of a merlin be the sort of thing to go for? Just want no rust, comfortable bike, and to pit something like 7 speed xt onto.

I'm actually really glad you asked that.

So I can't pretend that the plan originally was to build a "forever bike"; the frame was originally built on for one very specific ride and reason. And I always imagined after that I would revert back to something period. I did think an old titanium bike would be the best thing to throw a load of new kit on, tho. Mostly because they look futuristic as hell in the first place, just from being made of the stuff! So it lends itself well to this type of build.

I think, anyway!

But I've thought a lot about this since, especially with some of the modifications I've made and the fact the fork was custom. It all lends itself to being a bike that stays in some version of this configuration permanently. It looks cool (to me), sure, but the fact is it also rides superbly.

For a hardtail it's ridiculously smooth - the ti absorbs all the bumps and chatter of the trail, and it's light enough that adding weighty items such as baskets and racks doesn't result in absolute tank to maneuver, like it might on a weightier and more rugged steel frame. It's still spry and nimble, without being squirrely at all, even loaded down.

The geo you mentioned is also ideal for this type of project, as is the "indestructible" and rust-proof frame. Going threadless on the fork also means you have tons of options in terms of reach and height for the cockpit, even though finding a 1" threadless stem is one of the trickier propositions in bike building.

But I do have one caveat and complaint: the bottom bracket.

This is the only reason I hesitate to say this is an ideal frame for this type of do-it-all, keep-forever bike. It's just not practical because it's not only delicate but limited. Short of having a builder redo it, you don't really have any option other than to run the original pre-press-fit bottom bracket. And I'll be honest, it's a bit of a nightmare. Not only in terms of design, but because of maintenance. Water and mud and gunk and dust gets in there like nobodies business, and after any kind of wet riding I really need to remove the collars and regrease everything to stop the dreaded creaking.

Not that doing so is particularly hard, but it's certainly annoying.

The other issue is the chainstay mounted brake. As cool as it is, and as well as it works, it's still chainstay mounted. So a single decent-sized puddle can fully f**k your ability to brake effectively on the next corner! It's obviously also placed in a high-risk location for rocks and other trail debris.

All this to say, if I was doing a build like this from scratch again, I'd opt for one of the slightly later models. The geo didn't change too drastically until a fair while later and I'd want a later Grease Guard bottom bracket at the very least (ideally I'd want a threaded "normal" shell I could put whatever the hell I wanted in there, but that's a whole different bike). I'd also want to have a version with seatstay mounted cantilever or rollercam bosses.

Titanium tho, that's definitely what I would go for. It really is the perfect material for this sort of project. Especially if you're going to load it down with racks and a basket! Being so lightweight really helps keep the weight of everything down, and having something light like this that you can easily lug around when you're not riding or dealing with difficult terrain makes a lot of sense for camping, or just more fully-loaded riding.

Everyone should have a titanium basket bike in their life! ;)

It's so nearly the perfect bike. But I wouldn't be surprised if one day I try to snag a later gen Merlin frame to transfer the build over to, at which point the '88 will end up getting the full period treatment I always figured it would have eventually. Until then tho, I see no reason to change anything much other than to run a 2x crankset. It's just so much fun as it is!

1_ Merlin achieved perfection in 91/92. Less flex from fatter tubing including snake stays. Threaded bottom bracket. Seatstay mounted rear brake. A 92 merlin mountain w/ a ritchey logic fork, is sublime.
2_ Titanium has one achilles heel; it likes to make noises. It creaks. If it does it will drive you insane.
3_ Some love Merlin´s geo. Others don´t.

1_ Merlin achieved perfection in 91/92. Less flex from fatter tubing including snake stays. Threaded bottom bracket. Seatstay mounted rear brake. A 92 merlin mountain w/ a ritchey logic fork, is sublime.
2_ Titanium has one achilles heel; it likes to make noises. It creaks. If it does it will drive you insane.

1. I would agree that 91/'92 is the absolute sweet spot. Especially if you can find one with some of the more interesting details and back decals! But the early ones certainly have the most charm, for me, anyway! The cable routing "block" on the downtube on this one is one of my favorite things about it. I do already have a lovely Ritchey Logic fork on-deck if-and-when the time comes to switch this build over to a later gen model.

2. Yep! Which is why I purchased a giant tub of this:

muc-off-montagepaste-mounting-paste-anti-seize-2.jpg

3. The ones that don't are weird tho! ;)

I'm actually really glad you asked that.

So I can't pretend that the plan originally was to build a "forever bike"; the frame was originally built on for one very specific ride and reason. And I always imagined after that I would revert back to something period. I did think an old titanium bike would be the best thing to throw a load of new kit on, tho. Mostly because they look futuristic as hell in the first place, just from being made of the stuff! So it lends itself well to this type of build.

I think, anyway!

But I've thought a lot about this since, especially with some of the modifications I've made and the fact the fork was custom. It all lends itself to being a bike that stays in some version of this configuration permanently. It looks cool (to me), sure, but the fact is it also rides superbly.

For a hardtail it's ridiculously smooth - the ti absorbs all the bumps and chatter of the trail, and it's light enough that adding weighty items such as baskets and racks doesn't result in absolute tank to maneuver, like it might on a weightier and more rugged steel frame. It's still spry and nimble, without being squirrely at all, even loaded down.

The geo you mentioned is also ideal for this type of project, as is the "indestructible" and rust-proof frame. Going threadless on the fork also means you have tons of options in terms of reach and height for the cockpit, even though finding a 1" threadless stem is one of the trickier propositions in bike building.

But I do have one caveat and complaint: the bottom bracket.

This is the only reason I hesitate to say this is an ideal frame for this type of do-it-all, keep-forever bike. It's just not practical because it's not only delicate but limited. Short of having a builder redo it, you don't really have any option other than to run the original pre-press-fit bottom bracket. And I'll be honest, it's a bit of a nightmare. Not only in terms of design, but because of maintenance. Water and mud and gunk and dust gets in there like nobodies business, and after any kind of wet riding I really need to remove the collars and regrease everything to stop the dreaded creaking.

Not that doing so is particularly hard, but it's certainly annoying.

The other issue is the chainstay mounted brake. As cool as it is, and as well as it works, it's still chainstay mounted. So a single decent-sized puddle can fully f**k your ability to brake effectively on the next corner! It's obviously also placed in a high-risk location for rocks and other trail debris.

All this to say, if I was doing a build like this from scratch again, I'd opt for one of the slightly later models. The geo didn't change too drastically until a fair while later and I'd want a later Grease Guard bottom bracket at the very least (ideally I'd want a threaded "normal" shell I could put whatever the hell I wanted in there, but that's a whole different bike). I'd also want to have a version with seatstay mounted cantilever or rollercam bosses.

Titanium tho, that's definitely what I would go for. It really is the perfect material for this sort of project. Especially if you're going to load it down with racks and a basket! Being so lightweight really helps keep the weight of everything down, and having something light like this that you can easily lug around when you're not riding or dealing with difficult terrain makes a lot of sense for camping, or just more fully-loaded riding.

Everyone should have a titanium basket bike in their life! ;)

It's so nearly the perfect bike. But I wouldn't be surprised if one day I try to snag a later gen Merlin frame to transfer the build over to, at which point the '88 will end up getting the full period treatment I always figured it would have eventually. Until then tho, I see no reason to change anything much other than to run a 2x crankset. It's just so much fun as it is!
Great info lads thanks.

No threaded bottom bracket in 91-91 but a “press-fit” grease gard :)

How do they work ? And what about mud clearance ?
I tried to find an alternative brake for mine and the Mc Mahon Sissor bake were my favorite

Mud clearance?

None.

But luckily it’s usually dry here!

It works pretty well, as described above. I think the only reason they say it can’t work as a U-brake is due to the thickness of the studs.

Reduce the thickness and problem solved.

Maybe the spacing isn’t exactly as designed, but there’s ample room for arm, rim, tire and pads.

Anyway, I will report more when I’ve added the booster and housing! Should be in the next week or so.

My original frame came with an MRC Powerlink too, and I have another on my Brodie. I really like how they work, but they’re a massive pain in the ass to deal with mid-ride if you get a flat.

The Racer, on the other hand, is a doddle to release from the straddle and not have to reset any spring tension, or mess with pads.

Back