1989 Overbury's Pioneer 700c

Took it to work and back today, all I changed was the saddle, I put on an old Flite.

Lower gears skipped a bit at first but a turn or two of the barrel adjuster sorted that out, other than that it was a sweet ride, even in the pouring rain. I will change some things - the brakes and levers, handlebars, saddle and tyres, however everything else is fine and only needs a good clean and service.

The ride quality is outstanding, it's quiet, smooth and very comfortable, the tyres are ideal for my preferred route to work which involves tarmac, cobbled alleyways, gravel paths, riverside track and potholed industrial estate pavement. The bike feels very light and responsive, it just needs a little adjustment reach wise.

I'll not do anything drastic to it yet though, winter is upon us and this bike will be perfect as a commuter exactly as it is, however, come the spring I'll completely strip it down, thoroughly clean every part and rebuild it as a summer time off road drop bar tourer.

I've been day dreaming of doing something just like this for ages - have fun!

So is the frame bespoke or just a Pioneer with repositioned brake studs?

I've been day dreaming of doing something just like this for ages - have fun!

So is the frame bespoke or just a Pioneer with repositioned brake studs?
It looks bespoke, there is no sign of any previous mounts having been removed. there is a fellow forumite who is doing some detective work, it's possible he might be able to trace the original owner which would be amazing, to find out for sure that it left the shop in 1989 set up for 700C.

I've been playing around with dirt drop mtbs for a while now, tried four so far - two Roberts, a Cannondale and a Marin and none really worked as well as I hoped, although the Roberts both came close, I think this might be the one 🤞

Interesting, what were the issues? I had hoped to build myself a Jacquie Phelan inspired, bikepacking rig that I could use in the winter. My "go to" bike is a 29+ which can be pretty miserable in the British winter mud!

Interesting, what were the issues? I had hoped to build myself a Jacquie Phelan inspired, bikepacking rig that I could use in the winter. My "go to" bike is a 29+ which can be pretty miserable in the British winter mud!
Main issues were reach, mtb's in general have longer top tubes, although the White Spider I tried had perfect reach. Sadly it was too short at the rear and my heels would clip the brakes, I had to ride with awkward foot positioning to avoid that, a real shame.
The Cannondale was a blast on short runs, but it wouldn't suit anything like a tour, for me it has to be steel for all day riding, the Rough Stuff was the best overall if a little big, by pushing the saddle forwards and using a tall steep stem I could get a lovely riding position, but then I managed to source a Black Leopard which was exactly the right size, and that was to be 'the one' until this turned up.

I hear what you're saying re large wheels and mud, but I plan to use this as a summer bikepacker/commuter, and the Roberts will be the wet weather substitute.

Like you I was very much inspired by the Jacquie Phelan Cunningham, I just hope that I finally found a home for these poor WTB dirt drops that keep being moved around :)

Last edited:
I guess you could alway buy/borrow one of those Salsa "size-o-matic" things and then get a stem made that works for that specific frame?

Some pics of the bike after a clean, bear in mind it was a quick Muck-Off and rinse, nothing has been polished, it looks a bit more MTB without all the commuter kit.

P1010021.JPG P1010028.JPG P1010026.JPG P1010023.JPG

Everything from the frame to the tyres is in exceptional condition. I'm going to leave the v-brakes for now as they are working perfectly, although I really don't like the way they look on this bike, the saddle is a repro and just a placeholder but the post is the original.

After a week of commuting I've really got to know the bike and have come to some conclusions - The crank arms are 170s, all my other bikes have been and are 175s, I didn't think the difference would be that noticeable, however it is and so I'll have to replace them with 175s.
The tyres look like new, I'm not familiar with this model (Schwalbe Scouts) but they have an old school look about them, I have to assume they've been on the bike for years judging by the fact that they were completely flat when the bike arrived but have held air perfectly all week, that air loss must have been the result of air molecules slowly migrating through the tube and tyre walls.

It will be a much better rider with drop bars imo, it has a short top tube so that'll provide a more comfortable arm extension, apart from that, the brakes and the crank arms there really isn't much else that needs doing.

Next time I post it'll be in full off road touring mode.

Back