1988 Overbury's Pioneer

I've been in Bristol about 12 years, and among mountain bikers at least, the reputation of their paint jobs has never been good. I will ask some people in the know, though…
That's good to know (not for Argos though!) as you can only go on people's personal experience/recommendations 👍

That's good to know (not for Argos though!) as you can only go on people's personal experience/recommendations 👍
I’d imagine there are multiple threads already on the relative merits of stove enamelling vs powder coat. I think it is generally right to say powder coat should be more more durable than enamel, if done right. However, when you are going somewhere like Argos you are also paying for their knowledge and experience of frame prep, renovation and preservation - as well as effects and techniques not possible with powder coat. That, and the attention to detail when applying decals correctly etc. I’ve seen some poorly executed powder coat jobs on frames that have clearly not been prepped properly.

I’d imagine there are multiple threads already on the relative merits of stove enamelling vs powder coat. I think it is generally right to say powder coat should be more more durable than enamel, if done right. However, when you are going somewhere like Argos you are also paying for their knowledge and experience of frame prep, renovation and preservation - as well as effects and techniques not possible with powder coat. That, and the attention to detail when applying decals correctly etc. I’ve seen some poorly executed powder coat jobs on frames that have clearly not been prepped properly.

Different finishes definitely have their strengths, but the main factor is the skill of the person/people doing it. I've had some great powder jobs done (but at least one where I wouldn't go back) and the range of effects has extended a lot in recent years.

[edit] I meant to add that that's a beautiful frame and I'm looking forward to watching your build.

Attachments

• Frame and forks (2).JPG
    Frame and forks (2).JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Powdercoated 2.JPG
    Powdercoated 2.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Karakoram new paint.JPG
    Karakoram new paint.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_1908.JPG
    DSC_1908.JPG