For Sale Overburys Pioneer - Unfinished Project - XT M730 Groupset

QRZBuddha

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind my first post here being something for sale..

This was my dream build when I was a lad back in the 80s... at the time I did 3 paper rounds (6 days early morning before school, afternoon after school, and early Sunday mornings) to try and save up enough for one. Sadly, my willpower wasn't up to the task and I never made it. The cash burnt a hole in my pocket and I purchased a Muddy Fox Courier instead (I was obsessed with having a U Brake for some reason!), so a few years ago this frame came up for sale and I decided to try and relive my youth.. Due to a few factors I'm going to have to give up on the idea though, so.....

Frame & Forks are a 1988 Overburys Pioneer in grey with a Shimano 105 headset fitted. New decals applied by Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol during a complete respray in it's original colour at a cost of £268 (Argos receipt and pot of top up paint supplied) See photos for measurements.

IMG_3252.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3257.JPG

Shimano Deore XT M730 Crankset in excellent condition. 170mm 28/38/48 tooth Shimano Biopace chainrings with very little wear.
Shimano Deore XT Bottom Bracket.
Shimano Deore XT Pedals in good condition very little wear to teeth, still quite sharp, bearings run well in both.
Shimano Deore XT M730 6 speed/triple thumb shifters in very good condition.
Shimano Deore XT M730 Cantilever brake with Deore XT brake blocks with very little wear, with original hanger.
Shimano Deore XT M731 U brake complete with shark tooth, original mounting bolts and hanger.
Shimano Deore XT M730 Brake levers with rubber hoods in very good condition.
Shimano Deore XT M730 Triple Front derailleur in good condition.
Shimano Deore XT M730 6 speed rear derailleur in good condition. Mech operates nicely with very little play and very little wear to jockey wheels which spin nicely. Shimano Deore XT Shark Fin in good condition, will need some fresh adhesive though.
Shimano Deore XT Front/Rear/Seatpost skewers all in very good condition.
Shimano Deore XT 6 speed UG chain in good condition, needs a deep clean.
Shimano Deore XT 300mm Seatpost in reasonable condition, wear to anodised surface (see photos).
Selle Italia Flite saddle in reasonable condition.

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

Front Wheel, Shimano Deore XT 36 hole hub built onto a brand new old stock Rigida CTX500 rim.

IMG_3237.JPG

Rear Wheel, Shimano Deore XT 36 hole hub / Rigida CTX510 rim with very little wear on the braking surface (see photo).
Shimano Deore XT 6 speed cassette in superb condition, runs very nicely too.

I have the original Shimano Outer brake and gear cables in black, the brake cables also have the little brass runners for the levers. I did buy some fresh cables with yellow outers, I'll include these.

I'll also include a pair of Tioga Factory Mud F & R tyres in very good condition along with a pair of new innertubes.

The 135mm stem is from a parts bin and doesn't really suit the rest of the bike, it's been one of the main reasons I've not gone ahead and built it to be honest. It needs a stem with cable routing for the front cantilever brake really, there is a cable hanger/adjuster to go on the headset (which I'll include) which would work (not sure of how much thread there is on the steerer though).

Handlebars are from a Peugeot Montana, made by Strong in Japan, width is 560mm. Still needs some grips too.

It's been kind of fun tracking down all the parts and seems silly to let it go now but I've just moved house and don't really have time or space to finish this now, and even if I did build it, I'm not really sure what I'd do with it. I'm ideally looking to sell it all as a job lot, I'd like to get around £750 for it all, but might be open to sensible offers. I'm based in Portishead just outside Bristol, could meet if distance is realistic.

I've got loads more photos, but was limited to 10, contact me if you want any additional info or pictures of anything specific

Appreciate all the details, and photographs.

I would certainly be interested in frame & fork only if it becomes available…also able to meet - up , collect.

Goodluck with sale as is, a fine collection.

Pioneer versus Saracen Trekker test featured in 1st ever MBUK test I read - went for the Saracen Trekker in 1988

Appreciate all the details, and photographs.

I would certainly be interested in frame & fork only if it becomes available…also able to meet - up , collect.

Goodluck with sale as is, a fine collection.

Pioneer versus Saracen Trekker test featured in 1st ever MBUK test I read - went for the Saracen Trekker in 1988
No worries, I'll keep you posted.. I'm only listing it all together as it would just make my life easier at the moment.. If I do end up splitting it, I'll make sure you get first dibs..

Saracen Trekker.. blimey.. there's a memory! Still got it?

Cool, thanks for message back. Yes still have the Trekker & all parts (& too many more!)… if you do go frame & fork absolutely keen. A friend of mine, already rides a Pioneer - so know size works ok.

Pm sent, as i would be interested in the groupset and a few other bits if you split the load.

Sure tangent would take the frame by the sound of it!

Pm sent, as i would be interested in the groupset and a few other bits if you split the load.

Sure tangent would take the frame by the sound of it!

OK, thanks.. does that include the wheels, obviously the cassette/hubs are kind of part of the groupset too..?

If you and Tangent want to work out what you are both prepared to offer (and tell me what parts you want i.e. so I know what I'll be left with) then I'll give it some thought :)

Cheers

If you could stick it through the photocopier and enlarge by 25% I'd be interested in the whole thing.

Argos did a lovely job on the frame restoration - it looks gorgeous.

If you could stick it through the photocopier and enlarge by 25% I'd be interested in the whole thing.

Argos did a lovely job on the frame restoration - it looks gorgeous.
Thanks, yeah, it is quite small.. I've had a few people who've decided it's not for them due to it's size..

What diameter is the seatpost please?

Am certainly interested in frame & fork (inc. headset obvs.) , but would prefer a price for that package so I know if possible for me or not.

Am still interested , just dug out my original 1 inch quill ‘Offroad‘ Flexstem…but do need a price.

GLWS

Latest posts

Back