1989 Overbury's Pioneer 700c

It's a modern ebay special, cost under £20 new, probably Chinese made although it looks and feels more than up to the task.
Sorry but I can't find the link.

Edit - I found a link to someone selling the same stem, although US and slightly more expensive, without shipping it's still pretty reasonable.
Ta!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Today I began work on its summer transformation from commuter to gravel bike.

Stripped it all down, deep cleaned and regreased everything.

Main changes are XT M732/5 mechs front and rear in place of the Deore, which was fine but I may as well give it an upgrade while I'm at it, Deore crankset has been swapped for a 2x Ritchey with longer 172.5 crank arms.

Also swapped the black deore v brakes for some minty silver XT with boosters, and the handlebars and shifters have gone replaced by WTB dirt drops and shimano barcons

That's enough for today, will cable it up and get it all finished next week.

P1010037.JPG P1010038.JPG P1010039.JPG P1010036.JPG

Love it! Very nice 😍

How's the ride?
The ride is nice, I took it on my favourite trail up and down a stretch of disused railway. I only intended to go about 5 miles but ended up going the whole way, 42 miles all told. It's ideal for this trail which is a fairly flat mix of hard pack, loose small gravel and fairly choppy stony ground and the bike just ate it up.

The brakes, not that I used them much, but when I did they are so crisp, the x2 chainset is much better suited for the flat fast run this trail presents, bars are comfy, the same bike with flat bars did feed a lot of chatter to my wrists, especially on the rougher sections, but the drops damped it right out, the only adjustment I needed to make was to push the stem up another half inch.

A lot of fun. flew through the tunnels as I remembered my light this time.

P6130014.JPG P6130018.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back