Reimagining a 1988 Merlin Mountain

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
Well, with the Bontrager finished and being ridden to within an inch of its build, and the Brodie refresh semi-stalled waiting for a few key components to show up from their various international locales, I figured it was time to start a thread for a new project.

Brace yourselves, this is going to be another loooooong one...

The story starts with Pinkbike, and my first ever time using it.

That same friend of mine who assisted with the Phoenix spends a lot of time on there, however. And he knows exactly the types of bikes I'm always on the lookout for. One morning he stumbled across the following post and alerted me right away:

And I jumped on it immediately.

Now, I had my reservations about the proposed dating, and it was a medium-sized frame, but everything else about it ticked all the boxes for what I'd been looking for: A late 80s Merlin Mountain, with U/Cam bosses and that lovely noodle snaking around the seat cluster.

And this one was even being offered with (another) McMahon Powerlink!

I mean, sure, why not?

I chatted back and forth and got a lot of wonderful information from the seller, Mark. He was the original owner, had ordered the bike custom from Merlin though his local (long gone) bike shop in Salt Lake, Wild Rose Sports. He and his friends all got Merlin's around the same time and referred to them as the "Flexy Flyers". He'd ridden it a lot until the late 90s, and then broke it down and stored it away until it was time to sell it to me! The bike had been used predominately as a tourer, and Mark had ridden it all through Europe, New Zealand and across the Western US. It had plenty of battle scars, but nothing structurally concerning. Mark had even offered to take it to a local builder for a second-opinion and to make sure none of the scratches were anything more than just surface damage. The frame was also covered with a bunch of stickers he'd stuck on it from his travels, and, in all honesty, I was tempted to keep those on it as a nod to the bike's previous life. Mark clearly loved his bike, but he was happy it was going to someone who appreciated it for what it was. Anyway, in the end, Mark removed the decals himself before shipping.

With the interesting backstory and the fact it was coming from the original owner (always a lovely perk) I figured I'd take the risk on it being slightly too small. So, along with a set of Cooks RSRs Mark was also selling, I had the frame, fork and headset boxed up and shipped to the aforementioned friend of mine who had found it.

Why?

Well, because I had a plan...

This buddy on mine, Brendan, has an amazing custom bike shop in Brooklyn called Supertuck Speedshop. And last year he did the Nutmeg Nor'Easter for the first time (more HERE), which he absolutely loved it. In fact, he spent the weeks following convincing me to commit to coming out East to ride/camp the next one with him. And, well, if I was going to do that, I'd need a bike! So the plan was made to ship the Merlin to him at his shop, and over the next 10-or-so months we'd build it together. Me supplying parts and preferences from afar, and Brendan doing all the wrenching, as well as providing plenty of sound advice and years of mechanical knowledge. Which is exactly what I'm lacking from my own skillset!

But, hey, I know a shiny, pretty thing when I see one...

So here's some photos of the bike as it arrived with Brendan:

IMG_2251.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpeg

🥰

Over the weeks that followed, Mark also unearthed the original ti bars he'd ordered with the bike, as well as the original spindle for the Cooks he rode it with, and sent both my way.

Oh, yeah, those Cooks:

IMG_2267.jpeg
IMG_2270.jpeg

Home cut notch? 😳 Ooofff!

Neither of us can figure out for what that was for, either. As it doesn't seem to make sense for any clearance issues?

Oh well, turns out those cranks most likely won't be staying on this particular bike, anyway.

The bars, meanwhile, went straight to Dan Chambers, so he could work his extension magic on them from across the pond.

I'll get into the specifics of the build plan, as well as a couple of the subsequent, major twists that have already happened along the way, in the following posts.

For now, I'll leave these pretty pictures of the pretty bike for you all to look at, while I gather the strength for the next few updates!

Like I said, this is going to be kind of a long, complicated ride...

Last edited:
That is for the front mech out plate to miss scraping the inner crank arm ..that’s what happen there it’s a classic lol maybe the cranks had been put on to tight or wrong bb length or really old front mech that was to wide

That is for the front mech out plate to miss scraping the inner crank arm ..that’s what happen there it’s a classic lol maybe the cranks had been put on to tight or wrong bb length or really old front mech that was to wide

Well, that makes sense.

Stupid sense, but sense.

The aluminum sleeve in the seattube might give you a relatively accurate date-

Nice bike!

Cook cranks are known to have clearance issues w/ front derrailleurs. This guy made it work. Just ride it.

Just ride what? The bike? The crank?

The crank isn't being ridden on this bike, because it's being replaced with a different Cooks.

But we'll get to that!

No doubt the home-modded one will find a grateful and willing home on another bike tho!

Have no fear.

There's a parts bin special camp bike in my future, after all!

The earlier ones don't have that. I don't know when they started doing it, Maybe it is custom or part of the custom order? It is smart to do, it will keep the seatpost from galling-

So, this is a tricky bike and build to know where to go next with updates. But I think the first thing to say is that this bike was always planned to go through two very distinct builds/versions.

The first, which is what Brenden will be helping me with, will be my first ever restromod build.

Now, I'm aware this might raise a few eyebrows, especially amongst vintage purists, and I'd normally feel the same way about a bike like this myself, but hear me out:

First of all, it's only one of two planned builds. The second will be an entirely period-correct version. But that's going to take some time and investment for me to put together, which isn't something I can really commit to this year. And in the meantime I need a bike to ride on the East Coast in October.

Then there was something @Peachy! once said about @Ferry's own early Merlin, which really stuck in my head:

Imagine riding that in 1988... must have been like owning a spaceship!

And he's right. For how old these things are, there something obviously very futuristic about them. And this got me wondering if that might make them a bit of a ripe, if slightly unlikely, candidate for a more modernized build?

Anyway, once the frame was purchased I started looking online for inspiration and stumbled across an old classified on MTBR, for a 1991 Merlin by its original owner:

There's just something about this weird, eclectic build that I love! It's very clearly a bike that's been regularly ridden over the years, updated as-needed along the way. And it just kind of works. In a completely oddball sort of way! For me, anyway. And that made me feel better about some of the ideas I already had for mine.

That and the fact I'd never be able to top @jimi911's amazing '89 Rubber Fork Merlin, as far as period builds go! That bike is not only the benchmark for Merlin's for me, but maybe all vintage MTBs.

Now, the most modern technology I've ever ridden on a bike is the XTR M950 Group and an FSX fork, so I'm definitely more than a little curious to see what all those advancements feel like out there on the roads and trails!

Although, I guess not that curious, as it will still be a majority vintage build! Just maybe not the most expected of vintage parts? Anyway, the overall plan is:

- Nothing too glaringly modern.
- Plenty of classic and vintage stylings from my existing stash as well as anything appropriate that I can source between now and October.
- An affordable modern 1x drivetrain.
- A few contemporary components and small touches.
- A custom-made fork and stem.

(More on that last part later, as it's still very much up in the air/in the works!)

Luckily for me, Brendan is much more clued-in to modern kit than I am. So this felt like good opportunity to have someone with a better understanding of that stuff guide me a little, in regards to what parts to choose within my budget, as well as have the experience and expertise to work around any quirks and kinks that might arise from trying to run all that modern kit on an older frame like this, without things getting too weird!

And, who knows? Maybe in the process I'll like riding the bike this way so much that the period-correct 2.0 build can wait a little while longer!

The first big batch of accumulated parts was shipped over to New York this week, so I'll hopefully have some updates with photos to share shortly.

There's still a couple of other things to get to first, anyway...

Last edited:
Back