Reimagining a 1988 Merlin Mountain

Right then, next up: the rear wheel.

I mentioned it before, but as you can see in a few photos, it was sporting mix-matched wheels for a minute. The reason was the rear White Industries hub's freewheel had given up the ghost on one of its earliest rides.

I hemmed and hawed about what to do while I borrowed @br0qn's XTR/Mavic rear. The bike is actually spaced to 130, but the White is 135. No big deal, as bikes, especially early titanium ones, were often sprung to accommodate the slightly wider, traditional MTB hub.

That said, it would be nice to build something in 130 eventually, and my current plan is to do so with a set of Dura-Ace 7700 hubs. A few reasons:

1. The correct spacing.
2. That generation is 9-speed, so should have no problem accepting a 10- or even 11-speed cassette.
3. The rear has a titanium freewheel body!
4. I like a sprinkling of road parts on mountain bikes almost as much as I like a sprinkling of MTB parts on road bikes.
5. Early Merlin's often came specced with D-A, as road components were much lighter, and at the time the flex was all about how light you could make these bikes. It would be a nice nod to that, I think.

1287Merlin3.jpg
1287Merlin4.jpg

But for now, the White hubs are now both back in use. The rear was serviced by Shawn, the same guy that installed the Racer brake for me. The pawl springs were all stretched out and deformed, so he manipulated those back into a better shape, cleaned everything, regreased it all, and added a couple of extra spacers to keep everything nice and tight in there.

Sidenote on this particular wheelset: because part of initial build plan was to utilize existing components already in my parts bins, I decided to use the wheels that I'd originally been running on my S-Works. The polished White hubs are laced to bronze-colored Mavic 217s (I'm still trying to figure out what bike this combination was originally specced for, as there's too many of them floating around to be a coincidence). It was unintentional to begin with, but there are a fair amount of bronze or brass-colored details dotted around this bike now (from the exposed brazing on the fork, to various washers and bolts), so these rims have really grown on me as an option on this bike. I'm still undecided as-yet whether they'll stay when I switch over to the 7700 hubs.

The springs, even repaired, really won't last forever on the White hub, but they should be fine for now until I can sort the D-A set, and rebuild the wheels accordingly.

tempImagezFx9p9.jpg

Some additional and useful "flare" was added once the repairs were completed and the wheel reinstalled, in the shape of that little Koma rear light. Rigged with a thin bolt and some washers to run through the small hole that appears through each dropout.

(Closeup of the Paul QR for @Imlach's pleasure!)

Last edited:
Right then, next up: the rear wheel.

I mentioned it before, but as you can see in a few photos, it was sporting mix-matched wheels for a minute. The reason was the rear White Industries hub's freewheel had given up the ghost on one of its earliest rides.

I hemmed and hawed about what to do while I borrowed @br0qn's XTR/Mavic rear. The bike is actually spaced to 130, but the White is 135. No big deal, as bikes, especially early titanium ones, were often sprung to accommodate the slightly wider, traditional MTB hub.

That said, it would be nice to build something in 130 eventually, and my current plan is to do so with a set of Dura-Ace 7700 hubs. A few reasons:

1. The correct spacing.
2. That generation is 9-speed, so should have no problem accepting a 10- or even 11-speed cassette.
3. The rear has a titanium freewheel body!
4. I like a sprinkling of road parts on mountain bikes almost as much as I like a sprinkling of MTB parts on road bikes.
5. Early Merlin's often came specced with D-A, as road components were much lighter, and at the time the flex was all about how light you could make these bikes. It would be a nice nod to that, I think.

But for now, the White hubs are now both back in use. The rear was serviced by Shawn, the same guy that installed the Racer brake for me. The pawl springs were all stretched out and deformed, so he manipulated those back into a better shape, cleaned everything, regreased it all, and added a couple of extra spacers to keep everything nice and tight in there.

Sidenote on this particular wheelset: because part of initial build plan was to utilize existing components already in my parts bins, I decided to use the wheels that I'd originally been running on my S-Works. The polished White hubs are laced to bronze-colored Mavic 217s (I'm still trying to figure out what bike this combination was originally specced for, as there's too many of them floating around to be a coincidence). It was unintentional to begin with, but there are a fair amount of bronze or brass-colored details dotted around this bike now (from the exposed brazing on the fork, to various washers and bolts), so these rims have really grown on me as an option on this bike. I'm still undecided as-yet whether they'll stay when I switch over to the 7700 hubs.

The springs, even repaired, really won't last forever on the White hub, but they should be fine for now until I can sort the D-A set, and rebuild the wheels accordingly.

View attachment 720870

Some additional and useful "flare" was added once the repairs were completed and the wheel reinstalled, in the shape of that little Koma rear light. Rigged with a thin bolt and some washers to run through the small hole that appears through each dropout.

(Closeup of the Paul QR for @Imlach's pleasure!)
That is a pretty rad looking skewer brother

Meanwhile, the last big adjustment that had to be made was to the drivetrain.

Now, as much as I love the Cooks, and as good as they look, neither spindle I have for this bike is the right taper for them. Both cause the crank arms to bottom out, leaving no room for the bolts to be properly secured, resulting in creaking on the pedal stroke and the bolts working their way loose after a medium-length ride.

So, while I hunt down an option for the correct spindle in the right width, I figured I'd make a change to the crankset in order to remove this issue in the meantime:

tempImageIq2JvH.jpg

They might not be as pretty or as interesting as the polished Cooks, but there's something nice about having something a little more blue collar and workmanlike on there.

A component from the first XT group (M730) working in harmony alongside one of the most recent generations to power the same bike is pleasing to me as well!

tempImageMvbj5H.jpg

(Can't tell you how much it hurts my OCD that I didn't notice the rear derailleur cable had slipped out of the notch as I was taking these photos!)

And the last of the tweaks, for now:

tempImagelACfAY.jpg

Decided to try a "modern" saddle! ;)

The Unicantor is great, looks amazing and it both comfortable and insanely light. It might well come back at some point.

But for now it's destined for another project I'm about to start work on, so I'm going to bravely try and bed this beast in instead!

I quite like the Klunky vibes it brings to the build, and the black with brass rivets ties in nicely with what's going on elsewhere.

I'm hoping to take this one out on a proper photoshoot soon, so will update this thread acoordingly then with more photos. I think the wheelset switch and perhaps even a conversion to 2x is in its near future. I feel I'm missing something a little higher and a little lower with the current 1x10 setup.

It is awfully light and lots of fun, tho!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back