1989 Overbury's Pioneer 700c

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
In preparation for the bikes arrival today I thought I'd get a thread started, bought this hybrid from a Bristol auction house for £212 including shipping the other week.
9d87ce0f-4028-45a1-9523-af200104850e.jpg

The frame matches up geometrically almost exactly with the Pioneer, despite the wheel size I see this as an off road bike and although it isn't a traditional 26er I hope it will be welcome in the classic MTB section.

Currently not much is known about it except that it looks to be in very good condition for its age, I'll have to wait for the bike to arrive before I can assess everything and decide how to proceed. It was probably a one off custom build for a customer who wanted the bike for rough stuff type adventuring, the wheel rims are of a particularly durable design and were specifically intended for either tandems or expedition bikes.

I'll post more pics when I get it, and would be interested to hear from any Overbury's experts, I've done a lot of digging and can find no record of Overbury's ever building a 'hybrid', so it looks to me like it's probably a Pioneer frameset with brake mount positioning adjusted to accommodate the larger 700c wheels. Here is an image of this bikes frame superimposed over a 1988 pioneer (18.5'') to show just how close they are...

op18.5.jpg

The only major differences seem to be seat post height (1/2'' shorter) and fork length (1/2'' longer). Although this is far from scientific, combined with the Columbus Off Road tubing it pretty much confirms that the main triangle and the stays are at least Pioneer inspired.

Last edited:
The frame is 18.5'' from c-t.
Deore MT62 drive train with 170mm cranks and bipoace chain rings which I assume dates it to 1989, it's got more modern Deore V brakes, Mavic module 4 expedition rims on Deore II hubs. It has minty XT pedals that spin buttery smooth. Wheels spin smooth and true, tyres hold air, shifting is flawless, brakes feel like they were set up yesterday, it just needs a clean as far as I can tell.

It's as though it was ridden for a few months then put away into storage, can't find any scratches or chips to the paintwork, even the chainstay is unblemished. There is very little wear on the chain rings and minimal sign of rubbing on the crank arms.

I'm going to take it to work tomorrow to test it out.

Will make a fantastic OR tourer, or trail rider, great thing is with the emergence of Gravel bikes there are now loads of cool 700c tyres to choose from.
That's the plan, next summer I'm going on a couple of wild camping tours, I have a Roberts Black Leopard that I intended to build up for that, but this came along and I think it'll be even better suited with the larger wheels.

Checking in. Saw the auction and clocked it as a modded pioneer. If it was a decent size you have had to pay a lot more to get it away from me!

Back