Do 26" wheels make it retro?

The cutoffs are arbitrary, there's no reason why a 2004 model isn't as legimately retro as a 97 one. But having to constantly update with a new cutoff would be a waste of time. Luckily it is all just a bit of fun. Not to be taken seriously.

I actually do happen to think that 26er wheels is a pretty good indicator of something retro. Even if it's modern. It's a wheelsize that defined what we call retro mtbs better than any component ever did.

Retro is the days before suspension became more important than the bike itself :D

I think 26" is pretty much obsolete for mtb ing. Probably that makes it retro; a thing that is unusual today. I think there is a reason for that, like there is a reason road bikes will have 28"wheels with tyres no wider than 25mm.

Only in touring has 26" still got value.

Only in touring has 26" still got value.
The reason for that is that 26 is still available around the world, still the standard. If you are biking in Mongolia, would you want to source a replacement for the 29" rim you just tacoed? It is only in our little niche that 29 outsells 26

The reason for that is that 26 is still available around the world, still the standard. If you are biking in Mongolia, would you want to source a replacement for the 29" rim you just tacoed? It is only in our little niche that 29 outsells 26
That is indeed the point, but it also makes for a stronger wheel

I think so too, years are "easy", but it also makes a lot wrong. Maybe we should divide the genre to "real vintage", "transitional" and "modern" to separate with better means. Just did a quick table of propable properties in each category. Feel free to diasagree :D

VintageTransitionalModern
Framesteelalucarbon mono
titaniumhydroformed alu
carbon tube
Thermoplastic
gearsup to 3*73*8-92*/1*
BrakesRoll camVDisc
U
Canti
Drum
HeadsetThreaded headsetThreadlessIntegrated
F.susp.Rigidup to 3"more than 3"
Rear susp.NoneURTFloating pivot
McPherson
Single pivot
Wheels24/26, 26
26​
27,5 / 29
BarsBullmooseNarrow straightWide
StraightNarrow riser
GripsBMX-typeplainLock grips
WheelsetBolt axleQR 100/130/135Through axle
GeometryClunker71/73Slack
But most that modern stuff was out in the late 80s.
Wide bars, stupid wheelsizes, carbon and disc, super long travel suspension and integrated headsets...

Let's go down the rabbit hole lads

Back