madebymoth

Retro Newbie
hi guys, new here.

ive rencelty got my hands on a Raleigh nitro to do a rebuild on. my bike was stolen recently and I've wanted to build a retro mtb for some time. so here it goes.

I know its heavy but I don't mind, I'm used to little or no gears as i usually have road bikes.

in my mind I need a few things cleared up

first, its gotta tiny forks and I think an integrated headset- I wanna swap that out for some suspension and a modern headset. ive seen the quill stem adapters but is there suspension that would work with that?

secondly, what would be a good drivetrain, want a completely new set up. bottom bearing, crankset, derailer, back wheel and sprocket. happy to have only gears on back.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

im also looking for these parts - ill have a look see on for sale also, thought it would be good to add in.

ive got a dmr 26 comp front wheel- not really needed for this, but looking for 2 pretty good ones to replace happy to swap or if there's matching on out there that be cool.
any drive train bits
replacement cantilever brakes and levers
seat and post
basically everything but the frame!

cheeeeeeeeers! moth

Hi mate sorry to hear about your last bike, sounds like a fun build should be a neat little bike.

I'd personally keep it rigid but you can get I think threaded steerer suspension forks, Suntour I think still do some they're quite basic, or you can have a look to see if there are any for sale here but they are likely to be nice (=pricey..). Suspension will alter the geometry of the bike a bit, raises the front end because I doubt that frame was designed for suspension.. If you're going to change the forks you could skip the adapter and also fit a threadless headset (sometimes called A-headset) just make sure to measure everything up first because there are a few (many) different sizes. But yeah, its' a fairly basic bike and I'd skip the suspension if I'm honest but the world is your oyster so there are options.

I've got some canti brake arms for sale at the moment. Could maybe maybe help with wheels depending on what drivetrain you want but they won't be period correct at all, I'll have a look.

Cheers mate, yeah it was a real bummer. had her for about 10 years! that's what you get for locking up in silly places in Birmingham!

sweet ok, could you possibly point me in a direction where to get measurements without rebuilding until I have the components, the bike is useable so rather not want to tear it apart.

don't mind about the geometry so much its gonna be a throw around town bike!

yessss! sweet what you got?

32mm is about 1 1/4" (inch and a quarter) but is this the diameter of the outside of the headtube? The fork is likely to be either 1" or 1 1/8" but you'll have to measure that, or find the info somewhere I'm afraid. The brake arms are Shimano LX, take a look at my profile or there's the for sale thread here 👍

thinking about suspenstion at the moment is probably a longer term idea-

but defiantly looking to at least update, drivetrain, brakes, seat and post, bars and some more beefy looking forks !

will a quill adateper fit the original set up so I can put new bars on ect? cheers thanks sorry for the endless dumbass questions!

Back