Retro MTB that can perform today

warrior4life

Old School Hero
I'm thinking of entering a 50 mile MTB race next year with lots of climbing, not overly technical though. I did the race the last two years, pulled out after 4 miles this year and sold my Scott Spark, spat my dummy out. I want to get fitter and go back next year.

Is there a Retro MTB that still performs well and will hang with bikes of today? I can live with a triple, even V-brakes and 26". I suppose suspension is the key?
I rate my late 90's Z1 Bam forks as good as anything modern but haven't ridden them back to back. I never rode a retro FS bike, only hardtails. Ideally looking for something at a decent weight. I had a 97 Kona AA with Z1 Bam forks that I loved! I suppose even a HT would do.

I'm 47, ridden MTB since a teen in the late 80's, did some XC racing the 90's.
I have 10 months to source something otherwise I'm on my wife's Cannondale FSI or I use a deal at work and get a Giant Stance 29.

I had a 97 Kona AA with Z1 Bam forks that I loved!

Is there anything old school that I should consider?

I think the specialized fsr platform is supposedly good. Marin full sussers are supposedly good too. I can't speak from any experience though have owned some but never really ridden properly. I do still have a nice full Susser Marin I bought to try a more modern bike, but have a few modern builds to play with so is available for cheap as I'm not going to use it. It's got Reba forks, fox rear shock, mix of xt rear and front mechs, chainset and lx shifters. Hope front disc wheel, DT Swiss rear disc wheel (needs bearings).

The Superlight looks stunning and would be a definite. I do tend to keep bikes tidy, looking on ebay there's some real messy bikes.
I just sold a 10.5kg Scott Spark RC for £1100, after fees £900. I regret it already and think I'll struggle for anything like it.
As was said above with the FSR. I love the FST Extreme 98 in green. Also rather fond of Caad4 onwards Cannondale F series. I put a wanted add on here for one. Think I'll just see what comes up on here in the coming months. Definitely needs a quality fork at least and some good tyres (which I can fit).

I wouldn’t worry to much just find something you like and fits, I absolutely rag my old bombers and they take everything; also as I ve broken or repairing my more modern bikes I ve been riding my retro rigid jobby recently and other week rinsed two lads on modern enduro bikes who both took it very well and a guy on a very expensive electric bike who wasn’t best pleased at all both on the ups and downs round whinlatter, I was having so much fun and going so fast on it I accidentally took all the lines I would normally do on a 180mm fs bike, only difference was an achey back the next morning and having to pull my wrists out of my elbows

I find it very satisfying killing everyone on the trail on a 30yr old rigid; )

Back