Retro MTB that can perform today

I plan to race this late 90s orange mr xc monstrosity later in the year but it’s very light and comfy and goes like a rocket with the 29 set up up front, not a fan of 29 but they def give mediocre riders a big advantage and although I did pretty good on a 26 last year I couldn’t keep up with a few of the young shop riders on 29rs so this is what what my budget would allow and what I came up with to kill em off this year ; )

Attachments

• C63F1399-52C8-42BB-88F6-83E595EA1194.jpeg
    C63F1399-52C8-42BB-88F6-83E595EA1194.jpeg
    968.4 KB · Views: 35
I've never been an Orange fan, no real reason.
I was 16 in 92 and we used to walk from college in Hull to Freetown sports and check out all the Kona, Marin and Orange's. The Kona's always stuck with me. The full suss oranges always look overbuilt. I used to sell them when I worked at JE James but I never had the opportunity to ride them.

I'd go retro steel hardtail frame, rather than aluminium. Over that distance it'll be a lot comfier, and with a bit of bounce in your tyres you'll be fine. My worry with a retro full suss would be sloppy linkages and a shock that is past its best. A shokpost is a cheap option for a comfy bum, but I've never really got on with them and a decent pair of shorts/liner has always been my friend.

Front forks will give comfort rather than bump soaking ability, but make sure they work. Elastomers are easily replaced, but stanchions can hide a myriad of issues unless pulled out and looked at.

Mid late 90's Kona Lava/Cinder, Marin Bear Valley, GT Karakoram/Timberline and the ubiquitous Orange P7 (because I can't comment on a thread without mentioning them). Can pick them up for decent money and then have some held back for tinkering and replacing anything that needs to be.

Having said not to go full bounce, I've always liked the look of a coilover'd Proflex with Vectors (since Jez Avery rode one in Dirt). Quite a few on ebay for keen money and they still look batsh!t nuts. Simple design and plenty that look like they've not had much use. good few came with Maguras as stock, so that would mitigate any perceived issues with V Bakes (though I've never had any issues) I can think of worse ways to do 50 miles.

Think with a £500 budget (that will undoubtedly grow) and 10 months I should be able to source something. If anyone sees anything in a large and remembers this thread feel free to send it this way. XC is the goal.

I have a garden gate of a '95 FSR frame which we might be able to come to some agreement over…

I'd also vote for an FSR. They used essentially the same design with only minor tweaks for almost 20 years because it works. FSR XC's are cheap and light and were the weapon of choice for XC racers for a long time. My first gen Intense Tracer is just a tarted up version of an FSR and I absolutely love it.

Latest posts

Back