Do 26" wheels make it retro?

Only in touring has 26" still got value.
Having ridden both 29" and 26" in some anger in an xc setting......i know which one my shed is full of......and its not 29"

Down hill, why not, but then if you can't be bothered to even pedal during a race, why not take the crank, chain, cassette, shifters etc off too and replace them with a carbon foot rest! Think of the weight saving.

Having ridden both 29" and 26" in some anger in an xc setting......i know which one my shed is full of......and its not 29"

Down hill, why not, but then if you can't be bothered to even pedal during a race, why not take the crank, chain, cassette, shifters etc off too and replace them with a carbon foot rest! Think of the weight saving.
I was expecting some rebuttall. If you prefer 26, go for it. I never did. Very nimble but the wheels just don't carry any speed.

I am always reminded of the story of Gary Fisher an Charlie Kelly who did sell some Nokian 28" tyres, but they couldn't get more from Geoff Apps, so they stuck with 26" that were more easily available.

They carry speed due to their weight...😂

But its horses for courses and even xc races now have down hill bits, coz apparently its boring to the x games generation otherwise.

Im suprised the Tour de France doesn't have jumps or a mandatory quarterpipe in in now.

They carry speed due to their weight...😂

But its horses for courses and even xc races now have down hill bits, coz apparently its boring to the x games generation otherwise.

Im suprised the Tour de France doesn't have jumps or a mandatory quarterpipe in in now.
No jumps but more gravel in the big tours.

A 28" race wheel with a 23mm tyre will carry more speed, not very heavy really..

28 or 29.....29" xc with a 2.3" on it will be somewhat different from a 28" with 23mm on.

Now your comparing apples to oranges.

28 or 29.....29" xc with a 2.3" on it will be somewhat different from a 28" with 23mm on.

Now your comparing apples to oranges.
I am saying that the fact a wheel like I mentioned carries more speed, so it is not just weight, also size. It will be even more for a 29 er

Latest posts

Back