Cheap van ideas

I appreciate the problem now you explained! Good luck with the search.

We run three 'proper' vans just in this household, and the narrowest is actually the Transit. Also an ex RAF Renault Master with extra high roof and lined out as a personnel transport with all the lights, carpets and such, you can jump around in the back there is so much headroom, and it is wide enough to sleep across for most people. We have had six sleeping on mats in the back in the winter weather! (Has a factory fitted diesel heater in it, which is bizarre as it was in Cyprus for all of its service life!)

The latest is the 'Beeg Bus', a LWB 311 Sprinter Traveliner. Factory issue, so made in Germany, and it has proper floor and proper headlining, lighting, speakers, active venting, as well as traction control, stability control, and auxiliary heating and such. Has an electric sidestep that opens when you open the sliding door, I have left nine seats in from the original 16 and it has had full engineer inspection and anti corrosion treatment. This one is a keeper! Has it services and work done the other week and now it sailed through its MOT, and is ready for conversion to a long haul camper/multi purpose.

The point, if there is one, is that after many years of running personal vans as well as driving business owned ones, I can say they are perhaps 20% more expensive to run than estate cars, yet can do 300% of what those can.

Even in the SWB Tranny you can rope your bikes up on the side, sling a stubby kayak up in the roof or a longer one on the roof, at the SAME time as carrying a bunch of folk. With an estate it is always somewhat of a compromise, something in something out kind of thing.

We still have a Grand Voyager which is tall enough to roll bikes in, so MPVs can work well enough, but if it is only a case of drive space then the height is not the issue, so get something taller.

I love me vans me!

Does it have to be a van?

Renault Kangoo, Citroen Berlingo and Peugeot Partners all come as both car and small van - remove the rear seats and you get a van with windows. Consider also late '90s/early 2000s people carriers like the Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra, or Citroen Synergie/Peugeot 806/Fiat Ulysse (these are two sets of badge engineered cars). I imagine these might give a better ride than a van too.

Bedford Rascal? :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
What about an oldish Zafira? Say a 1.6/1.8 petrol. The bits are everywhere secondhand. The space inside is amazing and there will be plenty of cosmetically rough mum's taxis around for a decent choice.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
A painter i know swears by his wee work van.
A suzuki ,which model i dont know. Its not huge but its cheap as are all the spare bits.

Latest posts

Back