Headset Fit Advice - 91 Roberts White Spider II

7Speed

Retro Guru
I am a very average mechanic and need some advice on fitting a 1” threaded headset to a Roberts White Spider. I am a headset fitting virgin and it all looks a bit intimidating.

I picked up a 1" HP-M900 Headset but it seems this came in a few different cup sizes. It was described as "English" which I thought meant ISO standard thread. The frame head tube internal diameter comes up as 29.9mm when I measure it. The headset cups outside diameter come up as just over 30mm - around 30.2mm. The 0.3mm difference seems like quite a bit. The same headset also comes in a version with a 30.0mm outside cup diameter. I have the tools etc to press the bearing cups but really don't want to damage the frame. Is the 0.3mm nothing to worry about and essentially needed for a good fit? Any advice welcome.

7Speed

Normally you would have 30.2 for the 1" headset on an MTB, it could be your internal reading or you need a special 30.0 cup headset.
The frames steel, it'll be the cups that go if anything ?

What's your crown race diameter (just another variable to worry about with 1" headsets ;-))

Stick Roberts W S in the title, as owners/builder may jump on the frame knowledge.
My personal advice for most people building bikes would be.
ohh it's a bit stiff, whack it a bit harder (hammer and wood method), probably the method used by everyone at home circa late 80s or them pesky Oranges.

Older headsets (loose ball XT/DX M73x & M65x )

1706961195692.png

M900
1706961145006.png

Then most up to date spec (this is 199:cool: cartridge XT/LX
1706961334654.png

Sooo…more measuring suggests I have a HP-M900 1” headset with 30.2 cups and 26.4mm crown race - @FluffyChicken thank you for telling me to measure the crown race.

The frame is definitely 30.0mm head tube. Original fork which has a very short a-c which limits tyre choice has a CR seat of 26.4mm. I have two alternative 1” forks - a P2 and a Dave Yates that have a-c of 390mm - both with crown race seat of 27.0mm.

Essentially I need a 30.0mm cup, 27.00 crown race 1” headset if I want to be able to run some bigger tyres. Anyone think I am wrong or that there is more margin for error than I am allowing?

I had no idea a headset would be so complicated. Thinking of going threadless given I would have to significantly extend threads on the new forks - feels simpler or Am I opening up another can of worms?

Also - if anyone wants a 1” HP-M900 NOS headset with 30.2mm cup and 26.4mm crown race I have one available at a good price…

The cup is an interference fit, so it should be bigger than the head tube it fits into. Have you measured the head tube for ovality?
Remember that a vernier is known in engineering circles as a 'very-near'.

I would just get on with it and press it in.

Thanks @hamster - saw the same recommendation on 30 vs 30.2 cups from Sheldon Brown and @FluffyChicken said the same as you. My issue is now the crown race - which is a 26.4 vs the JIS 27.0 I think I need. Will find a way…seems I can got it wrong is many ways.

Any thoughts on machining the fork crown race seat? Not certain how feasible this is, but it’s just 0.6mm…or machining the crown race from 26.4 to 27.0mm

If the cups fit, isn't the simplest option to find a crown race in the correct size? The rest of the headset should be the same regardless of the race. I'm sure there are people on here that may have a spare, even some who have one for the same, but opposite reasons you have?

Latest posts

Back