Project Cindy, single speed cruiser build

The colour dilemma !
So I'm getting my paint mixed ...do I go for Original graphite grey which is pretty pretty rare on the Kona.. I can find only two other bikes in graphite grey. ..
for...
Retains the original look as kona intended.
Against, Maybe a little bland ? Already have a grey cinder cone. .

Audi moonshine blue metallic...
For..
Beutiful pearl hue with amazing colour pop which Changes from almost black to deep electric blue when the sun refects. Will look classy with polished aluminium components.

Against, potentially very difficult to apply and achieve decent finish. Very none kona stock colour.

Metallic black ..
for..
Everything looks good with black ..right ?

Against, nothing

All potential colours are metallic which I haven't sprayed in quantity and theres real potential for uneven laying of flake due to the nooks and crannies of the frame.

Decisions ..

Re:

I like the graphite or black option the best but just to chuck this in I'd fancy a white frame with black forks for a change as I've never had this and this it looks cool.

Go for the blue,no point having another grey if u have one that colour.
I had an old bike and Honda crx painted audi sprint blue peril and it looked stunning on them both.

Last edited:
:D Just got here in time for paint!

Right.... crack on then.... :LOL:

Re:

With the the dark nights drawing in rapidly and less time to play at weekends I needed to get the paint down. After much deliberation I decided to go for the original graphite grey which is a rare colour for the Cinder Cone. The nearest match to Konas original is Toyota, magnetic grey metallic. I’m wondering if this is a pearl finish as in certain light it looks almost black.
It’s a real faff suspending the frame to paint.. I need to look at alternatives for future projects :?
Previously id painted small car components in metallic finish but never a bike frame. A good tip I picked up from Youtube was to apply a final "drop coat" before clear coat which helps evenly distribute the metal flake in the paint.
With all paint removed the frame was 'scuffed' with 320 grit then 600 grit.
i De greased all tubes panel wipe solution applied with toilet roll until there was no signs of dirt/grease/crud remaining.
finally a tack cloth wipe down to remove any fibers left by the previous process.

Next in line ...

0etaoD5.jpg

Naked ...

U4l0qtG.jpg

pT05K8H.jpg

Panel wipe applied with toilet roll ..

lBBIkWH.jpg

Amazing the amount of crud to be removed...

McYS9o3.jpg

Paint stripped, de rusted , de greased...

JPqZsMv.jpg

zC8xNNB.jpg

ERPl1jx.jpg

Quality welds ..

wpzYYms.jpg

XFfyZCK.jpg

The 'jig' ... needs work :roll:

3Z8t0Zn.jpg

Final wipe down with tack rag ...

wy77DYP.jpg

first dusting of etch primer ...

Bfoh7pI.jpg

p72PNTB.jpg

IBRPmlf.jpg

UwyKKi9.jpg

8iVwNcR.jpg

F4IRKQF.jpg

xhIRt55.jpg

First dusting of primer ...

IoXpJTI.jpg

YjLkriz.jpg

MvHD7di.jpg

Final coat of Primer flatted with wet n dry

gyYPkFl.jpg

At this stage i had to move to the 'spray booth' (ginnel between our house and neighbors) as the wind had picked up,,

First dusting of base coat ...

F8gSBdB.jpg

Clear coat going on ..

1n8tCTZ.jpg

All done ...

PTXoTxt.jpg

NFddq18.jpg

3exNTwF.jpg

EYxhR3U.jpg

DhKA6mi.jpg

gBXSUZx.jpg

9g6AVdk.jpg

runs in clear coat will need addressing when paint fully cured.

aPdS4vL.jpg

iSJ6wQl.jpg

OK, it is not the blue color I wanted you to paint the frame in but this gray one is awesome man!! Great work!

Why no bolts in bottlecage holes and why didn't you apply decals before clearcoat?

Edit: I think P2s in white would look crazy good with this!! Also white grips, pedals, saddle and cables... :)

Nice work Billy Bob!

Latest posts

Back