Speed Project Lite // dirt-drop build

Yes, I plan on riding this bike a lot next season.
Over the last two years I got into tile hunting (veloviewer tiles).
I built this bike to have something that is fast on roads but I can still use on dirt roads. Because tile hunting is usually 80-90% small asphalt roads and the rest is dirt roads.

Just did a short first ride today and the position is sporty for sure but not too scary.
I will see next year if it still works for longer trips.
Looks amazing. Position isn't crazy for it's intended use, especially as the levers are positioned high on the drops. As long as your flexible and your neck/back are up to it, then no worries. Also your forward saddle position + inline seatpost is creating a nice steep seat angle for an aggressive pedal position. Such a great build and gorgeous photograph! 😍 💪

I did a few more changes:

Added an anti-chainsuck-plate. My frame comes with mounting points and I just found a plate that matches pretty good. I like it.

Also there was the issue with the front derailleur only shifting two chainrings.
After some more testing I found out, that the left Ergopower brifter does support 3x but sometimes gets stuck while shifting up.
When that happens the only solution is to shift all down and up again.
So I got it to work but will need to replace the left brifter.
There is another issue, too. On some gear combinations the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur. Campa got two small steps between each chainring before it shifts up to the next one. Still I cant get the front derailleur noise free on all gears.

In the end I decided to try a Compagnolo Syncro only for the front derailleur.

It works so much better.
Its friction so I can set up the front derailleur perfectly for each gear.
And scince this frame is somewhat unique with attachment points for shifters on the top tube it makes sense to use them.
Now I have to decide if I keep the left brifter but only use it for the brake or if I switch that one for an aero brake lever from the same generation.
I have one comming and will decide then.

The John Tomac Raleigh 1991 team bike gave me the idea für the left shifter.
He was using a brifter on the right side and a bar end shifter + aero brake lever on the left side.
I'm guessing for the same reason: to have more control over the front derailleur?
Tomac-Raleigh_02.jpg
Tomac-Raleigh_22.jpg

Back