1965 - Worksop - Sun Snipe Plus - new project..

Sun Man 51

Dirt Disciple
Hello everybody.. its been a year or so since I finished my last Sun Snipe Plus project.. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1968-worksop-sun-snipe-plus.438730/

To cut to the chase, a couple of months ago I found another Sun in Glasgow of all places (I'm in Cornwall :D )advertised on Ebay. Its in the same Flam Bronze Green as my last project bike, but not quite so faded. Quite a bit of rust in the bottom bracket area though, which is a little unusual considering its an oily/greasy area. However, yes there's obviously plenty of wear and tear, chips, rust spots etc, its a 1965 bike after all.

Now, I've made a decision that I'm not going to paint this bike frame, so.. how best to restore the frame, keeping the patina, wear and tear. This is where I'd like some suggestions from you good folks out there. I've obviously been doing a little research, and the following ideas have come up. Thorough wash and clean and then several coats of boiled linseed oil. Or.. thorough wash and clean and then clear lacquer. And last.. thorough wash and clean, t-cut and wax. As I said above, any suggestions on finishing this old Sun Snipe Plus will be most welcome.

Once I've started on the bike I intend documenting its progress in this new thread. As with my last project, every individual part will get the attention needed. In the meantime, here she is in all her present glory.. waiting for some TLC.. 👍

Attachments

• SUN 1.jpg
    SUN 1.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 21
  • SUN 10.jpg
    SUN 10.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 20
  • SUN 9.jpg
    SUN 9.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 12
  • SUN 7.jpg
    SUN 7.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 12
  • SUN 6.jpg
    SUN 6.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 12
  • SUN 5.jpg
    SUN 5.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SUN 4.jpg
    SUN 4.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 13
  • SUN 3.jpg
    SUN 3.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 16
  • SUN 2.jpg
    SUN 2.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Looks pretty good already! Wash and wax would be good if you're sure you don't want full restore... is everything removable / recoverable? i.e. bottom bracket, headset? Although leav'em if you're sure.
Many thanks 'chickendrumsticks'.. the photo's are a little deceiving, they make it look a bit better than it really is. I'd say everything is removable, and I am going to strip, maintain and clean/polish every individual part like I did with my other Sun bike.. its the frame I'm undecided on. I'm definitely not going to paint it, just want the best possible outcome, visual effect for the bike.. 👍

Strip, re grease, Cables, tyres, tubes, pads, bearings as needed. Polish and enjoy the ride. A very nice near original bike. I think the front wheel isn't original as I'm pretty sure they came with chrome rims, nor is the rear mech :) As @grantoury says it's had a life, I would certainly find space for it.

Not on bicycles. Apparently it stops the oxidation process. I like the state of this bicycle, all the life it carried is still there. So maybe this would be an interesting way to preserve it. But wax is a similar process and less messy, maybe.

Strip, re grease, Cables, tyres, tubes, pads, bearings as needed. Polish and enjoy the ride. A very nice near original bike. I think the front wheel isn't original as I'm pretty sure they came with chrome rims, nor is the rear mech :) As @grantoury says it's had a life, I would certainly find space for it.
Thanks guys.. your input is very much appreciated. I'm still very open to any method of restoration of the frame at the moment, and the beauty of two of the three methods I mentioned of course is that they are reversible, unlike painting. Painting this bike is a no-no, that's a definite, and to be honest.. the clear lacquer option is not one I really want to take.. at the end of the day it is 'painting'.

Yes Guiness.. the front wheel is an alloy, and not original, I think the back is though judging by the rust on it and its five gears, which I'm sure I'll be able to at least clean up so as it fits the rest of the bike. I'm not quite so sure at this moment in time on finding a chrome rim for the front though, or to polish up and keep the alloy, I'll let life unfold on that one.

Re the rear mech, that's going to be changed. I've just managed to get hold of an old Huret/Allvit mech which was an original fitting on these bikes. I had one on the Sun Snipe Plus I had as a lad back in the 1960s, so that will be put on in the place of the Shimano. Photo of the Huret/Allvit below..

Attachments

• s-l1600 2.jpg
    s-l1600 2.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l1600 3.jpg
    s-l1600 3.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Haha.. I thought I'd lost this thread.. :oops:.. I made the fatal mistake of editing it over a weekend/bank holiday.. it disappeared.. so relieved to find it here this Tuesday morning.. thanks mods..

Lots more to come once I get stuck into the bike.. 👍

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back