Speed Project Lite // dirt-drop build

Moving on:
This being an italian frame it needs an ITA bottom bracket, of course.
Funny thing, though: the bottom bracket shell is 68mm wide not 70mm like the ITA standard.
So the bb sticks out a tiny bit. 🤨

Furtunately the Campagnolo BB-11RECART can be mounted off-center.
So we decided to have it stick out about 1mm on the drive side where it will be covered from the crank/chainrings (Campagnolo Record O.R.)

On the other side it's mounted flush.
Very cool how the small and medium chainring are mounted with a center lock on this crank.
It may not be a lightweight crankset but it sure is pretty!
😍

A few detail shots of the cable routing along the top tube.
Cable for rear brake and rear deraileur are on the drive side, cable for the front deraileur on the other side

The cable stops in the front are the screw-on-type like on road bikes.
You could also fit frame shifters there. I was actually tempted to do that initially but scince the 8-speed Campagnolo syncros don't have the best reputation I decided against it. Also I'm still getting comfortable with drop bars and I will feel saver on gravel if I don't have to reach to the top tube to shift.

The stem is a Salsa K10 repro made by Cyber Cycles that was powder coated in matching RAL color.
And the dirt drop is a Nitto RM-3 / 25.4mm / 580mm that I found used. It's a pity they are sold out everywhere at the moment. I hope Nitto will continue making them.
(seatpost is an ordinary Kalloy for now, still looking for something nice in 26.8mm)

I kept the 105 headset for now.
The steere tube of the Ritchey fork is pretty short.
I had hoped I could fit a Chris King GripNut but it's 3mm too short.
We tried it but when the headset is tightend safely the fork no longer moves freely.
For a wall hanger that would be fine but I plan to ride this bike regularly like all my other classics.

I allready found a HP-6400 wich should have the same stack higth like the 105 headset but is all silver.
The plan is to polish of the logo to hide the fact that there is a Shimano headset in a Campa build.😅

Last edited:
Love this, the detailed pictures are awesome.

Just not sure about the BB, the difference between ITA and BSA BB is not only the width of the cage, but also different diameter of the cups and different side threading on the drive side, so the BB is probably BSA standard (even though Campagnolo) and it is not entirely in for some other reason, I mean, being Campagnolo for instance. :)

Love this, the detailed pictures are awesome.

Just not sure about the BB, the difference between ITA and BSA BB is not only the width of the cage, but also different diameter of the cups and different side threading on the drive side, so the BB is probably BSA standard (even though Campagnolo) and it is not entirely in for some other reason, I mean, being Campagnolo for instance. :)

The bottom bracket in there is Italian threaded. As you say, the diameter is different between British and Italian, so it wouldn't fit if the BB shell wasn't Italian.

Yes it's a bit strange but the Project 10 frame was the same. I guess they bought the 68mm shells from the tube set but cut in ITA threads?

The BB is ITA: it's marked 36x24F which means italian threads. (see first picture)

Gonna build me some wheels this weekend ✌

Last edited:
I mounted the saddle, pedals and a pair of Pasela tires yesterday to test the geometry.

The tires will not stay - they look too slim for my taste. Just wanted to see them on the bike for science. 🧐
The position sure is sporty but I think it will work. I will know more after the first test ride.
Also I switched the 105 headset for a 600 headset with polished cups.
I plan to use white perforated grip tape to match the look of the saddle.

Back