Kona A'ha Stars & Bars 1997

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
:Intro:

Hello Kona, Clunker, Beach Cruiser, Hybrid and Single Speed lovers,

The hope is a somewhat quick turn around on this build in time for late Spring and early Summer. I think the wheel combination will be the biggest hurdle to overcome, and in that any guidance you are willing to share is appreciated. The plan is to go a bit unconventional in the wheels because there is a certain final look I am really trying to go for. I'll very likely be building the wheels unless I find something decent.

Do any of you remember the Elf BMX bikes from the late 80's? The Mini's and the 24's had sweet wheel proportions. I had an early 80's Hutch, but as a kid drooled over the guys at the BMX tracks with the 24" Elf's. Example:

1985 Elf 24 Inch.jpg

:Wheels:

There is a Cruisers thread with a lot of cool stuff in there in all sorts of wheel sizes. Ideally, I want to forgo the 26" wheels that this Kona came with, and go as large as the frame and fork permit with a lower profile knobby tire. Offhand I think this dream can be pushed to 650b/27.5" or a 700c . Some numbers for your consideration:

26" wheel diameter = 559 mm
27.5" wheel diameter = 584 mm
700c wheel diameter = 622 mm

Stock tire/wheel setup was 26 x 2.10" which gives an overall rolling diameter of about 666 mm. In theory, with this 666 mm overall wheel rolling diameter I can hypothetically use:

27.5 x 42 mm tire = about 668 mm
700c x 23 mm tire = about 668 mm

That though, is keeping overall wheel diameter and ratios. Maybe the rear triangle and front fork can take slightly larger? Such as a 700c x 30 mm (about 682 mm) or 700c x 35 mm (about 692 mm). Something to think about.

Some of you are thinking 'what about the brakes'. In that cruiser thread, MattiThundrrr suggested some very cool brake boss adapters to go from 26" up to 700c (or vise versa). Mavic also made some, but they are rare, expensive and over complicated.

:Fork:

I bought this A'ha frame and cranks only. I have on hand a P2 fork, but it's currently painted black. I don't know which version of P2 this is other than it's rather heavy and a steerer tube that is 263 mm, non-threaded 1-1/8". In the aforementioned Cruiser thread, MattiThundrrr posted some sweet photos of cruisers with front suspension. I really like the look of the Noleen/Girwin fork on a beach cruiser frame as well.

:Frame:

This is how she sits currently. There is talk in prior A'ha threads about rear fork spacing being 110, 112 and 120 mm on these frames. My particular frame measures (I think) a 20" (maybe an 18"). I can't really tell. 1997 catalogue hints more like a 20" but I don't know. Rear forks measure 112 mm (but are technically 110). I think those who have 120 mm have spread rear forks after the fact.

:Cranks:

The stock cranks and the whole contraption is so fricking heavy I thought it was made of lead. The entire contraption weighs 1,300 grams including the cups 🙃 . What were they thinking!? I am aware of the American-to-British bottom bracket conversion kits to then run a square taper bottom bracket. BTW, the conversion kit weighs about 100 grams. I think these cranks look absolutely awesome, but are way too heavy. Suggestions on cranks? TNT, Race Face Next LP? Kooka's? Some old Tagaki's? Chainline must retain 41 to 42 mm.

Another aspect is crank arm length. I think 175 mm is too long for a beach cruiser or single-speed. I had modern stuff from Electra through the years in Hawaii. Those had much shorter crank arms and were easier to deal with. These stock cranks are 175 mm and I think 170 to 165 mm would be better; thoughts?

Enough yapping, onto the bike.

1997 Kona A'ha in Stars & Bars livery
SN: 7040199
Fork: says something like 1998 CM/OM and a stamped picture of a whale or fish above the date
Edit: MattiThundrrr cleared up the forks. They are CM/CM. Mahalo!

3O1F4651.JPG 3O1F4652.JPG 3O1F4654.JPG 3O1F4655.JPG
3O1F4658.JPG 3O1F4659.JPG 3O1F4660.JPG

Last edited:
If you look just above the crown race the forks might have either… CM/CM (plain gauge) or CM/TB (triple butted) stamped on the steerer tube
Ah...ok. I thought there was CM/OM, but you just cleared that up. Is there anything special regarding the little whale stamped into the steerer tube?

It is very faint in the black paint I barely caught it. Tried to massage it out with paper over it then rubbing some pencil. Measures about 1cm high by 1.5 cm wide. Looks like a roll mark. Also, maybe not a whale but a dolphin. Looks like this:

7FD3798B-46E4-4A82-BC11-345234672A58.jpeg

I suppose it doesn’t matter too much if that is relevant or not. Thanks anyhow!

Could the ‘whale’ maybe be the Columbus bird?

Attachments

• 922EE79D-111B-42D3-9BD2-169C4575D499.jpeg
    922EE79D-111B-42D3-9BD2-169C4575D499.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
Is this single-butted fork worth refreshing and repaiting to use, or should the triple-butted fork be ideal (stronger) for XC/single-track? I am not sure I will go the suspension route as the bike is already heavy enough, plus I think fully rigid would be super fun.

For the seat post, I am not sure what size this frame takes? 27.2? 27?

Seat post and stem: maybe red anodized Ringle'?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Is this single-butted fork worth refreshing and repaiting to use, or should the triple-butted fork be ideal (stronger) for XC/single-track? I am not sure I will go the suspension route as the bike is already heavy enough, plus I think fully rigid would be super fun.

For the seat post, I am not sure what size this frame takes? 27.2? 27?

Seat post and stem: maybe red anodized Ringle'?

Thanks for any suggestions.
It would probably be worthwhile to find a triple butted fork but the one you have there is just fine. I would say no suspension as I don’t think it would work, but if you put a gun to my head and asked me to choose a suspension fork I would go 98’ sid/marzocchi bomber

Personally I wouldn’t go ano red Ringle as it’s what everyone else does on these stars’n’bars konas. Do something fun and different!

For cranks I say try and find some red tnt cranks(if they even came in that colour?)

Last edited:
It would probably be worthwhile to find a triple butted fork but the one you have there is just fine. I would say no suspension as I don’t think it would work, but if you put a gun to my head and asked me to choose a suspension fork I would go 98’ sid/marzocchi bomber

Personally I wouldn’t go ano red Ringle as it’s what everyone else does on these stars’n’bars konas. Do something fun and different!
Did Kona do a titanium P2 fork? Asking for a friend...

Oh...I am a 1st and 2nd Gen SID horder... it's bad. Probably should seek counseling on this. I'll do a mock up with red and blue when the wheels are built/sorted and I have a headset. I also have a color-stripped SID which I can paint whatever...

Forgoing Ringle' for something else most definitely will save some cash. Maybe Syncros...but black parts and silver parts to me are so boring! Hmm!

Back