Specialized Stumpjumper Mystery Model

Well, I'm very surprised. I haven't found anything that indicates that S-Works bikes were that early brochure wise or from my own knowledge of being heavily involved in the scene at that time, but it would seem they were if the frame numbering is indicative of manufacturing date. Everyday is a school day I guess. My own three Epic road bikes don't have any obvious date indicators so perhaps this was restricted to the mountain bikes?

So @RetroVelo you really do have a mystery bike but looking like an '89 something or other!

The one in question at this point in the thread hasn't got a rear brake bridge on the rear seat stays, as per this 89 Comp Stumpjumper which had the rear brake cable hanger threaded through the seat clamp bolt.
View attachment 721103

Here's some pics of @Sergio1069's Steel S Works which just closed on ebay. A 1991.

View attachment 721102
s-l1600.jpg
good night guys, I'm the owner of the S-Works 1991, the ad on EBay has been reopened because apparently nobody wants my S-Works....perhaps the price is too high. For me the price is correct, also considering the excellent condition of the bike and the 100% original components!!
However, I briefly saw the photos of the alien Specialized, and I read your expert considerations. I'm not an expert like you, but looking at my S-Works, the alien Specialized doesn't really look like an S-Works to me but in my opinion it looks like a pre-series specimen and/or a prototype made as a test

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
good night guys, I'm the owner of the S-Works 1991, the ad on EBay has been reopened because apparently nobody wants my S-Works....perhaps the price is too high. For me the price is correct, also considering the excellent condition of the bike and the 100% original components!!
However, I briefly saw the photos of the alien Specialized, and I read your expert considerations. I'm not an expert like you, but looking at my S-Works, the alien Specialized doesn't really look like an S-Works to me but in my opinion it looks like a pre-series specimen and/or a prototype made as a test
A prototype !? I acquired this 1989 mystery bike with a 1989 Specialized RockCombo, from what I understand of only 500 were made. I stored these bikes in my hangar for the last 17 years and I just recently brought them out to address restoring them. I am still trying to remember if there was any mention from the previous owner of this mystery bike being a prototype.

Original bike: I vote for 1990-91 Stumpy Team. S-Works began production in 1991 and were markedly different, I believe most used the prettier vertical dropouts that were only introduced to the regular Stumpjumper lineup in mid-late 1992. This still has the older dropouts, penning it as being from between 1990 and 1992. Most of the components look original. Most, if not all, of the decals have been changed.

2nd bike: I say prototype, unless the eyelets were previously removed, in which case it may be a regular Stumpy.

Back