Specialized Stumpjumper Mystery Model

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
This Specialized Stumjumper is a conundrum. I am the second owner. The person I bought this from became over time emotionally detached from the bike and thus, the exact model had slipped their mind. I inquired with general questions to help them recall. When I picked this up, all they said was 'the bike is rather special and was very expensive in the early 90's' and 'the parts are original' (less the tires currently mounted).

I originally thought this to be an 91' Epic (in part due to identification in the Mystery Thread) and honestly since I have owned it, has been hanging on a bike rack in the basement waiting to be worked on. The reason I say this is an Epic is due to pouring over catalog scans and comments in the Mystery Thread. However, a local guy asked about it the other day on why there are welds at the head tube. My first answer was 'well, because these bikes are lugged in either titanium or chromoly'. That was the end of that. This morning I thought, well, I'll take a Neobymium magnet to the frame.

The magnet attracts on all tubes :eek: . Now I have no idea what this bike is. Looking for photos online brings more confusion than identification.

If you would like additional photos, please feel free to ask. A few caveats to pay attention to if you'd like to help solve this mystery:

*the serial number, from what I can read, the black paint at the BB makes this a bit hard to read
*the Shimano chainstay mounted U-Brake was a very limited year optional add-on from Specialized
*the stickers (or lack there of)
*all the parts are original (XT)
*Specialized was notorious for releasing bikes with components not matching the catalog - I have a 1992 S-Works M2 Team where the catalog states Suntour XC Pro but I have a very very late number serial number in full XT, which I also bought from the original owner

Details, details details ALL IN CM:

Serial number: 8915599
Shimano XT M730/733

Top tube (theoretical horizontal plane): 53.5
Top tube actual: 52.5
Bottom tube: 61
Head tube: 8.8
Seat tube: 43
Chainstay: 43
BBody width: 73 mm
Fork steerer length: 12
Fork width: 1"
Stem length: 120 mm
Stem clamp diameter: 25.4 mm
Rear dropout: 135 mm
Front dropout: 100 mm

Specialized Stumpjumper - 01.jpg Specialized - 02.jpg Specialized Stumpjumper - 03.jpg Specialized Stumpjumper - 04.jpg Specialized Stumpjumper - 05.jpg Specialized Stumpjumper - 06.jpg

I would’ve said epic ultimate, but there are no lugs anywhere. Maybe it’s a replica of some sorts? Epic ultimate was ti lugs and carbon tubes. And I think the epic was a bit similar. Not sure

Have you checked out the date codes on any of the Shimano parts?

Whilst all of the '88 range had U-brakes, the frame style (particularly the seat collar) don't match the '88 range, and obvs the parts are later.
By '89 the U-brakes have gone, but the seat collar now matches (better at least).
For 1990 the U-brake makes a reappearance on the Stumpjumper Epic and Stumpjumper Epic Ultimate only - but were they both lugged?, and only the latter was spec'ed with XT.

So if they were never lugged, I'd say what you've got is a '90 Stumpjumper Epic with an early build date (hence the 89XXXXX serial number).

Whilst all of the '88 range had U-brakes, the frame style (particularly the seat collar) don't match the '88 range, and obvs the parts are later.
By '89 the U-brakes have gone, but the seat collar now matches (better at least).
For 1990 the U-brake makes a reappearance on the Stumpjumper Epic and Stumpjumper Epic Ultimate only - but were they both lugged?, and only the latter was spec'ed with XT.

So if they were never lugged, I'd say what you've got is a '90 Stumpjumper Epic with an early build date (hence the 89XXXXX serial number).

Yeah the Epic, and Epic Ultimate were both lugged weren't they

That's what I thought, but haven't seen conclusive evidence of that myself, and can't see lugs in the '90 brochure stored on here due to lack of clarity - and my inability to read the German description of the frame construction! 🤣

Mystery continues I guess!

I zoomed in on the pic and could just make out the lugs. Also translated the German, which said something along the lines of "carbon fibre bonded into cromo"

Dynacol has a lovely, earlier (88/89) lugged Epic on here, which is one of Cindy Whitehead's ex-race bikes

I would’ve said epic ultimate, but there are no lugs anywhere. Maybe it’s a replica of some sorts? Epic ultimate was ti lugs and carbon tubes. And I think the epic was a bit similar. Not sure

At first glance, that is what I think too. But like I said, a strong magnet attracts to all the tubing.

Have you checked out the date codes on any of the Shimano parts?
No. Be right back...

Ok, a few details:

The seat is dated 1989
Brake levers are ST-m092
Rear derailleur is m735
Cranks are m730
Canti brakes are m732
Shifters are m732
Wheels are m732 hubs and Araya RM-17 and the color is like a dark bronze/gold/copper anodization
U-brake is XT U-brake II m733

Other than that, there are no date codes like what you would find on Campagnolo parts, for example.

All interesting information. Thanks for contributing. Also take note of the rear seat tube stays. The earlier ones had the stay sort of cut off at a hard angle where as the stays here are directly attached to the seat tube.

At first glance, that is what I think too. But like I said, a strong magnet attracts to all the tubing.

No. Be right back...

Ok, a few details:

The seat is dated 1989
Brake levers are ST-m092
Rear derailleur is m735
Cranks are m730
Canti brakes are m732
Shifters are m732
Wheels are m732 hubs and Araya RM-17 and the color is like a dark bronze/gold/copper anodization
U-brake is XT U-brake II m733

Other than that, there are no date codes like what you would find on Campagnolo parts, for example.

All interesting information. Thanks for contributing. Also take note of the rear seat tube stays. The earlier ones had the stay sort of cut off at a hard angle where as the stays here are directly attached to the seat tube.

You can narrow down the dates the individual Shimano parts were produced by looking for the date code stamps. I think the table below is accurate

Shimano date codes.JPG

Latest posts

Back