Kona A'ha Stars & Bars 1997

Did Kona do a titanium P2 fork? Asking for a friend...

Yes -- beautiful, rare, and shockingly expensive . . .

If you want to ride it properly I highly recommend a BB conversion. Long story short, the thread on the original cranks is the same direction as the pedal stroke meaning they come loose very easily. Plus you can save a lot of weight if that's your thing. Otherwise, they are cracking bikes, heavy but a ton of fun to ride on and off road. I love mine and have done many miles on it.

cnkWam.jpg

Seat-post is 27.0mm by the way.

Oh...I am a 1st and 2nd Gen SID horder... it's bad. Probably should seek counseling on this. I'll do a mock up with red and blue when the wheels are built/sorted and I have a headset.

Forgoing Ringle' for something else most definitely will save some cash. Maybe Syncros...but black parts and silver parts to me are so boring! Hmm!
Yes they made ti p2’s but they are stupidly rare, whenever a set comes up they are £1000+

@newsboy what happened to the three ti p2’s that you got?

Not Syncros, so boring. But not Ringle, so predictable…

Yes -- beautiful, rare, and shockingly expensive . . .
:confused: Thanks for chiming in. Good to know, but I don't want to throw a ton of money at this frame if I don't have to.

If you want to ride it properly I highly recommend a BB conversion. Long story short, the thread on the original cranks is the same direction as the pedal stroke meaning they come loose very easily. Plus you can save a lot of weight if that's your thing. Otherwise, they are cracking bikes, heavy but a ton of fun to ride on and off road. I love mine and have done many miles on it.

cnkWam.jpg

Yes, I'll go the adapter route for sure. The stock cranks look awesome, but are stupid heavy. Your bike there put me on a feverish hunt to find that specific frame, so thank you for the motivation!

27.0 mm - noted!

Yes they made ti p2’s but they are stupidly rare, whenever a set comes up they are £1000+

@newsboy what happened to the three ti p2’s that you got?

Not Syncros, so boring. But not Ringle, so predictable…
Kona also made ti stems and seatposts
That's a price way out of my range or budget. Maybe for my 94' Hei Hei but not for this bike.

Maybe I'll just build this bike with no stem and no seat post 🙃 I'll save 500 grams too.

Nice, the challenge if you don't have the original wheels, is finding wheels with the right rear hub width. I ended up with a nice, but horribly expensive, BMX hub laced onto Sun Rims. It works super nice thankfully.

I'm curious about how the "stars and bars" livery is received overseas. Here in Canada, we are pummeled by the media, and by extension, the patriotism of our big southern brother, and thus, I have had my fill of the red, white and blue. I love the frames, but would prefer literally any other color

cnkWam.jpg

That is really nice.

Back