1995 Kona Custom Cruiser Stars & Bars

GeneralOsik

Kona Fan
Shock and awe.

That is what I felt when I woke up last Saturday, after receiving an offer for a bike I never thought I would have a chance to buy. I had slept until noon, after riding my Trek 990 until 1 AM with my friends until my Cateye batteries died, and I woke up to a message from my friend Dirk, a local bike shop owner, who had previously shuttled Konas my way. I've passed on three 56cm ti Haole from 1993-1994 that were too big, a gorgeous baby blue Brodie that was too big, and a 1995 Exposif that was too small. Bar none, this one has me staring the most:

and no I'm not talking about the Sex Too

257253885_1246580845842881_8211451703885330128_n.jpg

From this article from Commuter Cycles:

20190729_182309.jpg

Yep, that’s a titanium one and a completely insane US flag version with Cook Bros. cranks and original blonde Scratch and Sniff tyres. Mind blown.

From this article from WTB

WTB.png

From this article from Old School MTB:

Joe Murray.png

From this post from 10 years ago from @al-onestare:

cruisers.jpg

We called those race cruisers. They have a bit shorter rear end so they’re not so cumbersome if you want to ride a trail and they were a nice light Tange tubset, like you would have found on a Hot. There were a few red ones and then a few with stars and bars and a crazy parts spec with the Ti fork, Cook Bros cranks and a all the nice stuff you could fit on a bike back then.

Last edited:
This bike started it's life being owned by John Balmer, former employee of Kona. I've been told it was showcased at Interbike, though I'm not sure which year. After Kona, John worked for SRAM, and then Trek/Bontrager, which is where it was likely outfitted with the SRAM Sparc electric wheel kit, SRAM 9.0 mismatched V-brakes and levers, and the funky Bontrager/SRAM handlebar with integrated Trek computer mount and cable. I have removed all of that, and stripped it down as you see it here. I'll be sitting and staring at it some more before I decide on final build specs, but if anyone has a red and/or blue Control Center headset, and a red and/or blue set of Curve brakes, I'd be interested.

PXL_20231120_225624559.jpg

PXL_20231120_225555827.jpg
PXL_20231120_225639600.jpg

PXL_20231120_225711516.jpg
Control Center headset

PXL_20231120_225733286.jpg
Titanium Project Two fork

PXL_20231120_230001785.jpg
Despite the V brake conversion, it still has the rear cable guide

PXL_20231120_230031986.jpg PXL_20231120_230058132.jpg

SN F502H0015

For this install, the frame was fitted with Sachs cable ties for the rear brake cable, and stick on cable holders for the electric kit. The rear dropouts have likely been cold set, as the wheel was wedged in, and the dropouts are not parallel. It measures wider than my 1995 Humu, SN 50 H0230 by about 10mm. The Synchros seatpost is cracked at the usual spots. The non drive sided down tube decal is starting to peel up:

PXL_20231120_225836741.jpg

PXL_20231120_225942697.jpg

This paint is absolutely gorgeous! I love the fade between red and blue, where it goes a bit purple behind the white. I'm pretty sure this is the pearl white I need to match for my 1995 Kilauea.

Absolutely fantastic, and even better confirmed original owner and history. It doesn't get much better than this.

That serial number places it at February 1995 so smack at the time for pre production 95/96 bikes, just as the back story confirms. Whilst it's not the fabled titanium version, it's still a lovely, unique example in fantastic condition. You did get ti P2s though!!

As you say and we can see, the stars and bars livery, fully painted (not the lesser A'ha decal version) is a thing of beauty.

Please don't fiddle with the original decals!

Really looking forward to seeing it built up 👍

Following for updates here...

Is that massive box between the rear rack and seatpost in the first pic a battery? Must have weighed a tonne... Any idea if it was used much like that?

Looking forward to seeing a more, dare I say, tasteful, outcome...

Thank you all so much! I'm happy you're all as excited about this bike as I am!

Absolutely fantastic, and even better confirmed original owner and history. It doesn't get much better than this.

That serial number places it at February 1995 so smack at the time for pre production 95/96 bikes, just as the back story confirms. Whilst it's not the fabled titanium version, it's still a lovely, unique example in fantastic condition. You did get ti P2s though!!

As you say and we can see, the stars and bars livery, fully painted (not the lesser A'ha decal version) is a thing of beauty.

Really looking forward to seeing it built up

👍

I'm glad you commented @al-onestare! Thank you so much for confirming the age of the frame! I'm glad to have contributed an early cruiser frame to the serial number list.

I've admired your attention to detail for a long time. Your bike builds and love for 1997 Konas is unrivaled, and I think maybe I might try to be that person for 1995 Konas. I think I've settled on that being my favorite year for Kona, right smack dab in the middle of my favorite livery years. Now that I have 4 Konas from 1995, I think I see a pattern starting...

Please don't fiddle with the original decals!

I have hardly touched them, only enough to clean the dust off the surface. I would never remove or replace the original decals, but I want to do something to keep them from peeling more. I can tell there is dust underneath the small part that has peeled up, so if I stick it back down, it won't adhere properly, and the dust will be visible. One of the top tube decals is also ever so slightly peeling up. Just spit balling here, but I was thinking about using very tiny lint free cleaning swabs with 99% isopropyl to clean the underside of the peeling decal, then a similar application of clear liquid vinyl adhesive, before sticking and holding with low tack masking tape while the adhesive cures. Please tell me if this is a bad idea.

There are also a few paint chips, and some previous touch ups, which I'll eventually document. The shop my friend Dirk owns, where this was stored for the last few years, is next door to a premier frame painter/builder TW Carbon. I plan on taking the frame there to see about matching the paint for touch up, and to get the pearl white match perfected for my Kilauea.

Is that massive box between the rear rack and seatpost in the first pic a battery? Must have weighed a tonne... Any idea if it was used much like that?

Looking forward to seeing a more, dare I say, tasteful, outcome...

That is the battery! It's actually clipped into the supports of the rack quite nicely. I'll share more photos later, before I sell the SRAM electric kit. It is all so heavy, and I am a bit perturbed that this bike, of all bikes, was fitted with this kit. I mean, I get it, it was just a cool cruiser to show off what was back then a cool new piece of SRAM tech I'm sure John had a hand in producing. I'm not sure if it was showcased at Interbike for Kona in 1995/96, or if it was showcased at Interbike for SRAM much later. I don't think it was ridden much at all in it's life, both before that was done to it, and while it was an e-bike.

The rear being spread is killing me a little, since it was done haphazardly, and the paint is worst by the dropouts. I was thinking about doing that on my Humu anyway, to gain nicer rear hub options. I was also thinking about taking this Custom Cruiser to a frame builder friend of mine, to at least make sure the frame is not twisted, maybe make the drop outs parallel.

Bottom line is I'm not rushing this build, this is all rumination, and I will sit on it for weeks if not months before I take it anywhere or do anything to it. That's how I usually roll, I like to have a built bike in my mind's eye before I turn a single bolt. While I'm pondering, please share your ideas or thoughts so far! Got a cool part that would be perfect? Lemme know. Think I'm going to ruin this unicorn, and I shouldn't touch a thing? Let's hear it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back