Eastnor mtb challenge with Retro class 19th March

mass199

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Looks interesting and even using the iconic 'Bomb hole''.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,373
I was about to post about this: who's up for it? I believe the bomb-hole will be used and since I've never ridden there but always wanted to, I'd like to give it a shot.

With a special retro category starting in the afternoon, it means I should be able to get there on the day and not faff about with an overnight stay. 3 laps of 6k apparently.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -Challenge

Ooh - this sounds really interesting - have to see if I'm free, but it could be a nice weekend away in the camper with the family, and a bike race thrown in for good measure...

Sounds like an ideal outing for the new (as in 24 year old type new) KHS

Re:

Great idea but they're holding it at the wrong time of the year.

If the Eastnor course get's just a sniff of rain beforehand your be pushing 1k of that course (Mountain Mayhem 2012) :roll: :LOL:

Why not hold it in the middle of summer although summer isn't alway's a guaranty of not pushing and especially if your trying to recreate that festival atmosphere that only the Malvern hills classic could and i wouldn't fancy camping with the kid's mid March!

Its just done the road from me and Players right about the terrain if it rains

They hold Mud Runner events there even in mid summer, shames as its a great location

Re:

I must admit iv'e been secretly hoping someone would re-do the Malvern's at some point though and hopefully this event is just a suck it and see to see how many retro and modern rider's it attract's.

I sure somebody on the 80s/90s Facebook page had a look at holding an event there and Eastnor want 10k for a weekend in the summer so guessing cost as usual is to do with the timing i guess.

Re:

I know little about it tbh, I'm fairly local and know the lad organizing the event is from Eastnor so I dare say he has picked/ been given this date due to availability and costs.
Track conditions will hardly be like 2012 mm due to a much lower entry and sensible course lay out.

Re: Re:

player":2q77s9n9 said:
i wouldn't fancy camping with the kid's mid March!

The kids are pretty hardy - we've done plenty of winter trips, and it's a bit easier in a van than a tent

So skinny steel holds less mud yeah?

This was announced up on Facebook group a while ago, I guess the BC announcement has just gone up.
A quick look and Leslie has posted this up.

It's just 5 weeks away until our MTB race in Eastnor Park on the 19th March. I was at The Bombhole yesterday doing a course recce and it's looking really good once again. I can't wait to see it being used in the race and if we get crowds like in my picture above, that'd be ace, lol. I've added a Pre '99 Retro catergory to the race itinerary and great fun it'll be I'm sure. We've also got the Bunnyhop Competition being revived especially for the event by none other than Jez Avery and the Hot Pies crew. Jez has already so kindly expressed his wish to run the Bunnyhop comp, but with all proceeds to a charity that we'll decide on this week. In addition to that, the promoting club and my own club Malvern Cyclesport have now decided to do the same for the whole event takings. :-D HOWEVER, as of yesterday, I checked the entries on British Cycling and for all categories across the board, we have a rather worryingly 12 entries total Just 3 of us in the retro cat, with Tim Davies Clive Powell and myself pre entered so far. As we hadn't originally set out with this event to make any profit in the first place, at 11 quid pre entry (with 1 pound administration and 3 flippin quid per rider insurance to BC out of the 11 SHOCKING), it's as cheap as chips to enter. So, as we are paying tribute to the absolute devastating loss of Charlie Van Der Craig, with all proceeds to a charity linked with his name. Therefore, I wondered how many people on here can please be so kind and come to support our event in this fantastically iconic location, especially as we've now got the Retro Catergory (which will be a fun race) in place? To race in any catergory you do not need a license. https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -Challenge

and for anyone wanting to look at some nice historical pictures
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5534645 ... ry=malvern

Back