Which retro mtb suited for bikepacking

Honestly, you can do it on any MTB. Relax, enjoy using what you have.
It would be nice to have pannier mounts, I mean I know you can screw some on but it's not the same.
Wheels from a Randonneur (even from 91) are really tough.
Other then that you are right.

Most people think frame bags etc when they say bikepacking - hence no need for rack lugs. I do agree that a rack is a distinct advantage though.

Just to echo what others have said, any decent steel framed mtb with extra braze ons and eyelets will be great for bikepacking. Also look out for off road tourers like the Roberts rough stuff.

I have a Roberts Black Leopard and Overbury's Pioneer converted to 700c, still undecided as to which is best, both have advantages and disadvantages.

Ultimately the most important thing when it comes to older bikes is to make sure it's well set up with suitable parts in good condition, make sure all bearings are in tip top shape and running smooth. Reliability trumps practicality, there are ways to make any frame work for these types of adventures and various solutions exist that can increase pack mounting capability, but there's no point in having a bike that can carry all your racks and cages if the drive train is on its last legs or your BB is about to crumble.

Last edited:
I use these two for bike packing and I am pretty happy with them.
Univega Alpina S7.7, feels quite soft, which brings a lot of comfort....
Dyna Tech Torus XT(R), just awesome...
Univegas looks super cool with their bended chainstays!

Based on my experience i could recommend either the 9xx Trek line or the Shogun Prairie Breaker. My 1995 Trek 930 is a really nice bike, light and fun but i'd probably use the Shogun for bikepacking since it has a bigger frame and I'd be less sorry to scratch it.

This is a really useful thread for future considerations, since once room for "one more bike" will be going down a similar route myself.

Back