1995 Specialized Hardrock GSX project - Complete with Photos

your paint work is in much better condition than mine. im currently going to keep it with the patina look but may get it powder coated later on but not decided on colour

Couple of bits came today.

Firstly my tyres came. Maxxis DTH. A well trodden path in the modern / retro MTB world. Could have gone big apples or billy bonkers etc but I really like the flash of yellow.

IMG_20230927_172224745.jpg

New 7 speed block. The chain was slipping on the old one so despite a waste if elbow grease, it needed to go in the bin.

IMG_20230927_172306466.jpg
IMG_20230927_200226547.jpg

Finally (and less shiny), my trusty Specialized saddle. This thing has been with me for 15 years and done thousands of miles. It's showing its age but it had to go on.

IMG_20230922_223532007.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of a teaser. All together and setup. Couple of tweaks to be had but it's a fun thing. Literally had a 10 min spin around the block.

I need to tweak the gears, adjust a few positions and then get some proper photos when I can.

IMG_20230927_192847435.jpg

just noticed your frame takes a 68mm bottom bracket.

my takes a 73mm one, plus it was fitted the other way round with the drive side on the left.

A really good rebuild saga, with all its attendant pics, thanks for posting all this up.
And you’ve kept the original frame paintwork and patina, which was in good condition, a big plus.
The highs and lows of bringing this MTB back from the brink make for an interesting read ( for me certainly! )

A really good rebuild saga, with all its attendant pics, thanks for posting all this up.
And you’ve kept the original frame paintwork and patina, which was in good condition, a big plus.
The highs and lows of bringing this MTB back from the brink make for an interesting read ( for me certainly! )
Thanks for that. Paint overall is good. It has its areas. The fork has certainly had a few knocks and scrapes and is a bit duller in areas. Also the chainstay has losses but I'm all for character. Glad you enjoyed the read

Back