Which retro mtb suited for bikepacking

sefton1275gt

Dirt Disciple
Looking for a nice retro mtb (to scratch a long standing itch)

Probably be commuting on it and also would like the option of being able to do a little bike packing on it.

For some reason I seem to be gravitating towards a trek (I hear the lugged steel frames are a little special)?

Anything else I should consider

Thanks
Craig
(Bolton)

Steel Univega Alpina's are a very nice ride, have extra bottle mounts, dropped chain stays found on some modern gravel bikes (not that it's really going to make any difference) and often stunning paint jobs. They're also quite affordable.

1" steerer can be something to bear in mind though.

Lovely details on the seatpost lug. By my understanding of the Trek naming system, that was actually a top model that year
4 digits mean aluminium, 3 digits Cro-Mo.
The first digit shows quality of the frame itself, 9xx was the best cro-mo frame series, and the second digit is the equipment level, a low number means a cheap group, a high number a better group

thanks.

could anyone explain the different trek model numbers?
This site may be helpful:

As to what mtb for bikepacking; I would go for a robust steel frame, doesn't have to be new. I agree with Imlach; a decent size will make it more comfortable and more of a stable platform for the terrain and bags.

I restored an old lugged 930 that woulda made an OK bikepacking bike. It was a size too big, which made it more comfy and had more room for a frame bag besides. A little heavy. It had that old suntour/diacompe X-1 groupset, the DR was OK but I didn't like the brakes. The index shifters are cheap and I found em impossible to rebuild. Didn't love the wheelset either, kinda heavy and I'm not a fan of the freewheel. That kinda stuff can add up ... but then, I only paid 50 bucks for the durn thing, the frame all by itself is worth that. Kinda surprisingly decent steel considering.

I also have a mid-90's 930, I really dig that bike, it's a keeper. Light, tossable, just a fun bike. I think they had upgraded to triple-butted tubing by then. Decent brakes, OK-ish STX groupset. I think most of em came with non-upgradeable "silent drive" hubs, but frankly the wheels are nothing to scream about to begin with. I'm kinda working my way toward Sun Rhyno XL rims, LX hubs, with a big fat Maxxis DHL up front, Ikon rear -- now that'll flat git ya down the road. Ride that sucka to Tierra Del Fuego and back. Best news of all -- it'll take a Troll or Stridsland fork if you want barnacles and farkles and a fat front and decent handlebars. I wouldn't rule out one of the newer frames by any stretch.

Last edited:
Might also be a good idea to stray away from the trend of 'as small a frame as you can possibly fit on' with was prevalent in early MTB. Bigger would be more comfortable for commuting and more space on the frame too for a framebag etc
So maybe a Marin or a Raleigh could be worth consideration for their slightly shorter proportioned (than average) top tubes meaning not too greater reach and enjoyment of the views / avoidance of sleepy commuters?

So maybe a Marin or a Raleigh could be worth consideration for their slightly shorter proportioned (than average) top tubes meaning not too greater reach and enjoyment of the views / avoidance of sleepy commuters?
An earlier Raleigh ATB in a good size with about a fistful of post and a low reach gooseneck stem for a nice upright position would be at the top of my list :D

Back