Silverfish 1993 Manitou FS

Silverfish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Yes

I know it's not a Yeti!

But this bike is quite possibly what has rekindled my love affair with 90's mountain bikes and rebuilding some of the iconic bikes from BITD. I ended up with a lot of my previous builds focussing on my very earliest days of MTB - 1986 onwards and tried to build many of the bikes I slobbered over in MBUK but could never afford. I've built and/or owned multiple FRO's, ARC's, Yak's, Ultimates, AS's, AS LT's, a Treefrog and a very early Sweetheart Cycles Motocruiser. That's not trying to brag. Just trying to illustrate that I mostly disappeared under a pre XTR retro passion which culminated in Shimano Deerhead, early Cooks and lots of Bullseye. It got to be a very expensive habit which is probably why I disappeared for a number of years :(

But for me personally the mountain bike heyday was very much the early 90's. And me moving to San Diego California in 1993 almost perfectly coincided with when the US mountain bike scene went absolutely bonkers and so many awesome bike designs were released between 1992 and 1995. I still used to read every mountain bike mag out there, but I still couldn't afford those bikes back then either 😆 Seems to be a bit of a theme developing :rolleyes:

I worked in a pretty cool shop in SD - we sold Pro Flex, Trek, Spesh, Gary Fisher, Diamond Back, Barracuda (when they were cool) and the odd one off fancy custom MTB. But we were nowhere near as cool as the the Cantina mountain bike shop on the other side of Sorrento Valley. Those boys stocked Yeti, Intense, GT, Mountain Cycle and pretty much every exotica going but they must have sold Manitou full sussers at one point because a guy that bought one there joined one of our evening rides.

And wow! Bonkers expensive but also so so cool. They actually rode phenomenally well, one of the best of the early design FS mountain bikes and crazy light considering the travel. Which is why not many of them have stood the test of time - Manitou FS bikes were pretty prone to cracking. I think they probably built them a little too light...

But I've always loved the design and always wanted one. But finding one that wasn't cracked was always the challenge. Then I found this...

Attachments

• IMG_2170.png
    IMG_2170.png
    998.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
it 'looked' like it was ready to go - I had a few spec tweaks here and there in mind but overall this should have been a simple project. But nothing is ever simple right? Once I got it home and started to take it part, I realised there was a lot more work involved than I had anticipated.

But, and it is a big BUT, the bike has no cracks anywhere. So I'm happy. It has a few minor dings, a few very minor scratches that I should be able to polish out, but I suspect this bike has lived a very sheltered life. I'm pretty sure I can build this to drool worthy showroom spec with a full service and a few choice upgrades...

First job was to replace the XTR wheels with a set of Ringle in 3DV, purple nips and 231 ceramic rims 😍

Also found a mint full set of 3DV cam twist skewers

Attachments

• IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2693.jpeg
    IMG_2693.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2698.jpeg
    IMG_2698.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 26
Been playing with tyres. Not happy with the Smoke/Dart combi
Or the all black Porc’s
Need to source some Porc skinwalls

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpeg
    IMG_2700.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 26
Also need to sort the gears and brakes and re-cable everything. I now know why the rear mech wasn’t working anyway - cassette was held together with a zip tie 🤦‍♂️

Much happier with this tyre set up…

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpeg
    IMG_2701.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 21
Back