Which retro mtb suited for bikepacking

A Rock Hopper from the early 90s also feels comfortable to me and the frames make a very stable impression.
I would also look for bikes with worn paint, then it doesn't bother you so much if the bags rub somewhere if it gets dirty. Personally, I find a suspension fork quite pleasant, but I always include a few single trails because it loosens up the tour a bit. But that's not a must and a rigid fork and thick tyres are also comfortable enough for dirt roads and forest highways.

I also have a Stevens 7.1.2. and a Centurion Stratos that make a very solid impression. The Stratos has the advantage that the rear brake cable runs in the top tube. That makes it easier to attach a bag there.

How about lugged or non lugged trek 900’s any preference
I always prefer a lugged frame because I find it more beautiful. You could argue that a lugged frame is less likely to break because there was less heat involved in making it, and that it is more easily mended. But for comfort or strength there is no difference between a lugged or a welded frame.

I did an overnighter a couple of weekends ago with a yo eddy 91 and it was a lot of fun. Although I am not sure you can load a lot of bags in this type of frames without sacrificing how the bike feels and rides!

I would also not take them for longer rides either because I wouldn’t have the space for packing a tent without mounting racks.

Attachments

• 1A43BC30-AC9F-466B-A96A-27EAB537878E.jpeg
    1A43BC30-AC9F-466B-A96A-27EAB537878E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Saracen Conquest
MEN3IID_o.jpg

How about lugged or non lugged trek 900’s any preference
950, lugged, seem to recall these were made in USA with excellent True Temper steel. There’s a badly listed on on eBay that’s a steal.

Linky

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Funny you should mention that, as plans are afoot for me to convert my two middle-sized 95 FSR frames into bikepacking and mountain touring rigs.

Advantages include nice big main frame triangle for framebags or head-through-the-middle portage if not carrying luggage on the bike. Nice big flat dropouts on the back for disc adapters, too. And also, as cool as f*ck, surely?

Back