Dave Yates and Orange Prestige.....Both finished builds p.5

No worries, glad you got em, I'll keep my eye out for silver cable hangers then. I'm sure they'll be worth the wait for yourself and us ;)

"TRUTH OR DARE"

Well after six months this project is close to completion. Period correct..? I have lost track tbh, certainly the paint for the orange isn’t.

I had already powdercoated the orange frame “black” at least twice since i have owned it. This time i had thought about silver, but it didn’t do it for me, so i have done something i said i would never do.......i back dated the colours and went for an option from the previous model years, “pink and white”, but took it a step further and used a hot candy pink and an Oyster white pearl, then a lot of clear coat over the paint and decals.

The Orange frame was by far the worst condition of the two frames, it clearly has had a very hard life, but hopefully this time round, it will be treated with a little more care and a lot less abuse.

The Dave Yates.....when this arrived i was a little relieved it wasn’t as bad as i had expected, although the colours were bloody awful, actually it hurt my eyes to look at.

I clearly didn’t want to replicate the original paint, and to be honest i really hated the decals too..!!!

I didn’t want to stray too far from the original paint “splatter” look, or change the decals, but i did want to try and show the quality of the fillet brazing, and somehow make it more appealing to me.

I teamed up with Garry at graphic shack, and between us we came up with the new paint schemes, as you can see its probably pretty clear where my influences came from,....lol.

Personally i like the way the Yates has turned out, its now a bike that inspires me to want to ride it, unlike the original paint. But then, even if i had ordered this from Dave Yates as a new frame, i would have perhaps chosen a similar look even back then....who knows...!!!!

Specification..................

I have been on this site as an active user for just over a year, i have encountered conversations on different views of how a bike should be built....i.e spec correct/period correct/catalogue correct etc, then there is the elite/anti-elite viewpoint, and going one further garage queen or rider.........??????

Then there is the view point of Handbuilt/factory built, U.K/U.S/Far east, production bike, mass produced bike etc etc etc. Which is best......,

Well, who knows what the correct answer is, i stand by the universal viewpoint...................................

“If it looks right it...it is right”....(Robert Egger....A bike designer and legend)

Both of these frames are of a similar year, both are made by British companies, one is made in the far east and one is handbuilt here in England, neither i would consider top of the range or particularly special from a collectors point of view, and both were hammered old nails at the start of the project, and neither are big money frames.

With a very low rigid budget, i was attempting to build two bikes with a similar spec, to be able to compare the frames, and their differences, to answer the question ..”Handbuilt or not” “far-east or England”...........??

But above all both bikes had to be able to be ridden and remain reliable. For a starting point i used the archives here on Retro-bike, and the Orange scan, to give me a base and specification list/options for the builds.

The simplest way forward for me was to try and build both bikes to an “ORIGINAL” retail price back in late 1992/93. The retail budget i chose was approx £1500, (remember this would have been 92/93).

I have tried to achieve this and keep both bikes as close to period correct as possible, obviously as both bikes are riders and not garage queens, Brake blocks/chains/bottom brackets are new and used in an attempt to keep the bikes reliable and low maintenance, and the tyres used are new but in-keeping of the era of the bikes.

There are certain items that i am unsure are period correct, for example “was the middleburn Rs1 chainset totally superseded by the Rs2 by late 1992/93...??? or was in in the glass cabinets of bike shops sat side by side..??? I was unsure but presumed it was available.

Also little things like brake cable hangers...., im blowed if i can remember what i was using for this back then.....!!!!

Anyway with a lot of perseverance, i have finished both bikes.

Cable hangers—to me, the cable hangers i have used are not appropriate and stick out like a sore thumb, ideally i would like to source two very nice aluminium jobs, that i think will “LOOK” more inkeeping with the builds.

Anyway, they are roughly in budget, and finished and ready to ride....., let me know your thoughts.!!!

I would like to thank, firstly Pete Mcc for making me sit back and ask myself the question....( great build thread on your Manitou by the way....excellent job)

Garry at Graphic Shack, for your time, patience and help, and an excellent finish on both framesets.

All the members who helped me source the extra components needed to finish the builds....thanks fellas and ladies.

DAVE YATES “DIABLO”

FRAME... Columbus Cromor OR. “Fillet brazed” Handbuilt in England.

FORK...O/E spec Project II.

PAINTFINISH...”TRUTH” (Sky Blue and Lightning Silver) Custom Decals.

CHAINSET... Middleburn RS1 (Polished)

CHAINRINGS...Middleburn

REARMECH...Shimano XTR m900

FRONT MECH...Shimano XTR m900

BRAKE/GEAR LEVERS...Shimano XTR m900

CANTILEVERS...Shimano XTR m900

HUBS...Shimano XTR m900

SKEWERS...Shimano XTR m900

RIMS...Mavic M231

SPOKES...D.T double butted stainless

TYRES...Ritchey “Z-MAX” evolution.

SADDLE...Selle Italia “turbo” black suede.

SEATPOST...U.S.E, (ultimate sports engineering) polished and painted.

GRIPS...O.D.I attack (black)

CABLES...El cheapo. (silver)

HEADSET...Durace 1” threaded.

STEM...M.Steel (cro-mo)

HANDLEBAR...X-lite ( refinished in cosmos black)

BOTTOM BRACKET... Shimano

PEDALS...what ever i have spare at the time.

CHAIN...shimano

ORANGE “PRESTIGE”

FRAME...Tange Prestige, “TIG welded” Made in the far east.

FORK...Pace Rc30 second generation. Custom Painted.

PAINTFINISH...”DARE” (Hot Candy Pink and Oyster white) Custom Decals.

CHAINSET...Shimano XTR m900

CHAINRINGS...Shimano XTR m900

REARMECH...Shimano XTR m900

FRONT MECH...Shimano XTR m900

BRAKE/GEAR LEVERS...Shimano XTR m900

CANTILEVERS...Shimano XTR m900

HUBS...Shimano XTR m900 rear and Pace CARBON xc front hub, radial built.

RIMS...Campagnolo Atek

SPOKES...D.T double butted stainless

TYRES...Ritchey “Z-MAX” evolution.

SADDLE...Selle Italia “Rolls” perforated white leather.

SEATPOST...U.S.E, (ultimate sports engineering) polished and painted.

GRIPS...O.D.I attack (black)

CABLES...white

HEADSET...Durace 1” threaded.

STEM...Orange “Alistalk” Custom painted in Oyster White with new decals.

HANDLEBAR...Orange “HOTROD” Custom painted in hot candy pink.

BOTTOM BRACKET... Shimano

PEDALS...what ever i have spare at the time.

CHAIN...shimano

Give me half an hour and i will try and load sum pics ....(as always there are a lot to post......... :oops: )

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,144
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,141
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,144
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,144

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,139
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,139
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 2,139
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 2,138

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,137
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 2,137
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,137
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,135

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,132

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 2,137
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,131
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 2,138
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,137

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 2,127
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,127
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,127
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,127

Attachments

• 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 2,120
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 2,121
Ah look here, you're just bl**dy showing off now! :shock:

...and it's making my brain ache trying to decide which one I like the most! :LOL:

Back