Orange Vitamin T still in use

bikeworkshop

Retro Guru
Here's my 1994 orange vitamin t
- I bought this off the original owner in Jan 95. 20240201_120316.jpg
This photo predates digital, and the term "bikepacking". Taken somewhere in the middle of the Scottish Highlands may '95.

The original build spec, from Dave Baters Downend, Bristol (rip😪):

Stronglight 1" threaded taper roller bearing headset.
Control tech inch quill stem
Pace RC35 Forks, rear mounted brake bosses.
diacompe 987 cantis with a rocker on the fork brace
Pace bars, x-lite bar ends
Ritchey foam grips.

Ringle front hub,
white industries rear hub,
hope ti-dye spokes
mavic 230 tib rims.

I can't remember the original tyres, but didn't anyone spending money have the smoke/dart combo?

Topline crankset
with Pace 48/36/26 rings
XTR gears (inc cassette) and STIs
Selle Italia Flite Evo carbon saddle - 99g & totally unpadded.

Ringle ti stix qrs, black.
The seatpost was a USE copy made by someone's dad at rolls royce/aerospace out of (no doubt aircraft grade) ti and aluminium.
The whole bike was built to be light, like under 20 lb, and fairly British. I remember after a very muddy race I threw it into a cattle pond and it floated!
Funnily enough apart from the seatpost qr the post is the only original component!
Everything else broke, wore out or became obsolete😪

It came with a 1" threaded headset, but luckily Sandvik the manufacturer had seen the sense of using a larger diameter for the headtube, to avoid that horrible mitre where a larger tube is cut to fit into a smaller one, so I could move forward with fork technology, as long as it's about 80mm travel😄.
20240126_094052.jpg

In its current guise it has custom shortened sids (tft👍) running 9 speed xtr/xt with IS hydro tabs fitted by Vernon Barker about 20 years ago.
All other ongoing changes have been made at my place of work - Bikeworkshop in Bristol (est 197:cool: mostly using second hand parts.
No cracks yet🤞.
Still riding where I live in the wye valley and black mountains. Still fits me like a glove and rides like a magic carpet😍

mine sadly has the 1 " headtube so finding forks was a pain, ended up buying a ridged chinese titanium fork which im happy with. cant see me going back to a suspension fork .

Here it is again, around 1997?
20240209_170739.jpg (Still got the cantis) Shame the bumbag (stylistically unacceptable now obvs but surprisingly handy for a repair kit, snack bar, house keys and a couple of tenners) is covering the crown of the magnificent Amp Research Forks.
They were:
Light, with killer looks.😎
They were also:
Uncomfortable, vague, delicate and quick to wear out.😵

And here it is "on tour", cycling back from bilbao in 2000. 20240209_171638.jpg Rigid fork fitted, now with proshift silver levers with red Vs, (crap name, poor function, light and pretty) towing my "bob" trailer - which is extremely well travelled as I hired it out to customers to cross Africa on one occasion and South America on another. LeJog too.
That chainset looks like xtr hollowtech m950 but I'm surprised as I never liked that system, short lived, expensive bearings and prone to creaking with and without fitting damage. Maybe i was driven to desperation by my creaky ti square taper bb (hope iirc)/topline cranks.

Just noticed the Nokon Track Pearls whilst photographing the ringle seatpost qr skewer...
20240225_165930.jpg
Much more expensive than shimano SP51.
A little bit lighter.
Many, many more pieces...
Needs cleaning daily for good shifting in the mud, as there's a little gap within each ball and socket joint, of which theres half a dozen every inch🤣
Fitted around 2000?

Almost exactly like mine, a year earlier maybe in that your seat tube has a sleeve at the top and the pace forks have the chrome brace on the back whereas mine had a cast and machined alloy brace on the back - cooks rather than topline, ritchey rims, xtr gearing... did it come like that new?
I suggest you ruthlessly track it down through successive owners like a Hollywood action film and stop at nothing to get it back.
It is after all, the pinnacle of Lightweight go anywhere cycling.

(And by pinnacle I dont mean that halfordsalike chainstore obvs)

Also post a link here to its history and setup??

In the bilbao photo above i recall I also refitted for this trip the (supplied spare with the bike from new) orange (?like they made alloy forks??) Alloy Forks in the supposedly matching grey ti colour - in fact a little dark and green to match well... and still 1" threaded this meaning I had to keep on using the stupid stronglight tapered roller bearing headset. What were they thinking? I love france and the French, but not all their bike components or threading standards!!🤯

Back