Anybody with a blb hitchhiker?

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Im my quest for ever bigger headtube frames to alleviate my back issues, I've come across the blb hitchhiker frame. Seems to tick a lot of boxes....big 230mm headtube, steel (cromor), cantilever bosses, takes 42mm tyres, sloping top tube.....etc

But there seems to very little review material...

Just wondering is anybody has one and what their thoughts are.

Cheers

No experience with it myself, but it is a frameset I recall looking at. I have heard overall positive things about it. Nothing fancy but does what it says on the tin and well built. Essentially a "gravel" frameset whatever that means but quite versatile and comes in a wide areay of sizes which is more and more of a rarity. Am a big fan of BLB components in general so I can't see why this wouldn't be worth picking up.

This is the stuff that got me hooked initially

https://gravelracen.nl/2019/07/11/review-gravelracen-op-de-bricklanebikes-hitchhiker/ (might need translator unless you speak dutch)

Anyways, not the answer you're looking for (in terms of wanting actual owners to share experience) but I'd certainly like to get my hands on this frameset sometime and sounds like it'd be ideal for the towering giant I imagine you as :D consider this a free bump and a...

go-on.gif

Cheers. I love the "whatever gravel means "....i struggle with that too.

Is it basically a way of selling a 1980s steel racer with bigger tyres to an audience too young to remember buying a "gravel bike" from the tip for £2

Or are tney just a late 80s moumtain bike on slightly bigger wheels! Especially now as it seems "gravelists" are requesting bigger.....oooooh say 2.1.....tyres.....cant think where we have seen those before......🤣

My idea is to build an all road tourer from it. I really want 26", but can't find a frame with a big enough head tube for a bad back, trapped in a 6'4" frame.....not a good combo.

I was considering custom build, but the prices have gone up considerably since 2 years ago when i tentatively got some quotes and unfortunately my relative retirement income down at the same time!

Im open to other suggestions and even had a wanted advert running for something huge in 26" ..... but got no replies sadly.

@Imlach

Thanks for the article, it has helped as it cleared up whether my nano tyres i gave here would fit as well as a few other points.

We've got a ti frame (custom built enigma iirc) with a short toptube and about a yard of headtube, but I think its 700 caliper style - I'll look at it tomorrow when I'm in.
We've sold some blb frames - price represents quality (as usual) and if you're going for a non- standard frame shape, it's hard to be confident of success until you've ridden it for a few months. Which is why we've got that enigma.
Hi didn't like it after all.
🙄
As you bring the bars up, you do put more pressure on the lower back (but hopefully less curve), and it can be hard to know how well the trade-off will work.
The stem raiser with swept back bar allows you to try standard xl frames though - much more fun with retro choice there👍
You just have to get over the funny looks🤣

Im my quest for ever bigger headtube frames to alleviate my back issues, I've come across the blb hitchhiker frame. Seems to tick a lot of boxes....big 230mm headtube, steel (cromor), cantilever bosses, takes 42mm tyres, sloping top tube.....etc

But there seems to very little review material...

Just wondering is anybody has one and what their thoughts are.

Cheers
I just took a look at the spec. It certainly ticks a lot of boxes, a shame it's got all that disc mount guffins going on. The other thing I noted is the weight, it's heavy. 3.3kg for frame and fork in a size medium, what would the xl weigh?

Believe me i know all about riser bars and stems.....🤣

The worst case is just to build another of these...just with a ahead fork.....if i can't find another option....

20221211_103338.jpg

Hitchhiker seems to be the one modern frame that makes the best sense for your needs. Modern geo and a belter headtube. Sounds like a right overbuilt workhorse too. (which is a trait I like)

I like the Marin. I too use very high rise everything, stem and bars, I prefer upright positions. To me the best change has been to use backswept bars, gives me a super weighed down rear end and I can actually take in the whole world in front of me.

If you decide to get the Hitchhiker I will be very excited to see a build thread.

Back