Reverse retro-mod conversions ?

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Has anybody considered or done a reverse retro-mod conversion?

It seems to quite "on trend" to take older steel frames and add modern 1x gearing etc, BUT, I was wondering if anybody has ever done the reverse. I.E. taking a modern frame and bolting on much older period parts?

To a degree I did this with the bike I use for touring, which is a 2007 specialized globe (don't ask). It sports a 1996 chainset (as frankly it was better quality and i had many spare rings at my disposal!), a 1997 v brake set up and a 1987 left hand xt thumbie !....as again, they were better quality then the ones on the bike and the thumbie avoided my pet hate.....being unable to trim front mechs with rapid fire!

So, what you got? What's the oldest part you put on a new bike? Do you have "go to" parts you use by choice every time despite their age?

Confess to you reverse retro-mod sins here and be absolved.😂

Attachments

• 20221201_085118.jpg
    20221201_085118.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221201_085036.jpg
    20221201_085036.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 48
that cateye vectra isn't exactly moderon either 🤣

I don't have a modern frame (the newest one I have is from 2006) so am probably not the best example, but my 2003 dave yates has 7 speed deore DX on it, and all my bikes have a rolls saddle (except the "modern" one which has a regal reissue)

I had a pair of saracen grips which followed me from my Sahara in 90 through half a dozen bikes to the early 2000s. Crap grips but they never wore out and I had already cut off the ends to allow me to fit bar ends.

Pedals have often followed me too - as have deore (XT) thumbshifter (well into 2010s) and saddles. I don't tend to bother nowadays.

I've got XT M732 skewers on my 2010 Chromag

Actually good call on pedals, I love 89 /90 XT with toe clips....they go onto everything! Especially as i never got into spd.

i've put my Muddy Fox bottle cage holder taken off my 1988 Explorer on my fairly modern Sanderson Life 26er. But i only have 26er. Modern big wheels are rubbish off road.

my winter bike has sported a 98 xt rear mech for the past 3 years and it's still going strong. the previous modern tiagra died in that time.
it's also been used with XT bar end shifters for a while recently to play about with 1x (didn't like it, went back to 2x).

my aluminium, bright pink bottle cage is still in use from 98 too.

Ejem, retro touch :rolleyes: I use different types of bottles and a steel bottlecage can be adapted to the diameter.

But I have use a LX FD from the 90s in one 00s bicycle because it is nicer, it is a specific diameter and don´t requires adapter, and more lightweight. Some parts have better quality.

Last edited:
Back