Retro-modern fusion gravel build madness. The new Superb!

@Woz Thanks!
If I can get an extra 10% of front braking power, and the bike does not fall apart, I'd go as far as calling it a huge success. It is always nice to build your idea into a real life bike (that's one of the reasons we're wrenching, right?), but it's even better when in the end it seriously exceeds your expectations. The fact that none of the parts were meant to fit together, and the frame is a 70 year old French oddity is just the cherry on the cake.

My previous attempts at building (modern) gravel bikes have failed miserably, with me wasting a fair bit of time & money on them, so I'm happy I've hit the right spot with this build.

I am fighting the desire to buy a 700c road bike Durifort frameset from the same era, ideally with a matching Liberia badge. But I've got two road frames that need to be done up, with the Scot likely being the "happily ever after" road bike.

Rim is 19mm internal. Total outer diameter will need to be measured, but I've got 47mm Horizons on the rims right now. The feeling and the riding position is that of a 700c audax bike. It does not have a small wheel feel like you get with a 26er, it also does not have the heavy, sluggish feel of 700c rims wearing 35-42mm tyres that I really don't like. Even without fine-tuning the contact points on Frannie, I happily switch between Frannie and the 700c 25mm wheel on Bojack.

With 47c tyres there's still plenty of guard clearance. If I took the guards off, I could fit even wider tyres (!!!) with lots of clearance everywhere apart from getting the rear wheel in & out past the studs (would have to be deflated to do that, as 47 just about squeezes in).
I also think the frame can take a 700c wheel without any problems with stud-to-rim reach. But why would I ever want to do that, right?

@Blacktopdisciple Thanks. Rear braking is top notch. It's the front that needs a tweak or two to get into the very sweet zone for me. Rear studs are a bit further away (lower) from the rim, which gives them increased mechanical advantage compared to the front. So moving the front hanger from guard mount to the stem is an option. Or doing some creative filing of the brake shoe holders to make the canti spread a bit narrower - that should work too.
Too much fresh air for me today - rear studs further away = lower mech advantage, so yes, lowering the straddle cable might work.

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks for this. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a 650B at the charity shop. So far I've only seen one for sale there, and like a moron I hesitated and went back a week later to get it but it was gone. I think once you get past all the French weirdness, they still remain a very very very good option. Like you say, wrenching is also a large part of the pleasure, creating something yourself and re-purposing is a very noble thing today. 🤟😻 Your bike looks great, if it was in a bottle it would have been drunk already ;)

What I like here with your build it's like witnessing the bike industry doing a full circle. When that bike was made, no one at Liberia would have ever imagined the radical transformations in the industry, the terrible extinction of the French bike industry, 650B close to disappearing, and then to be dusted off again because of it's benefits.

There is a funny-looking pug from the same era on ebay right now, but not cheap

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There is a funny-looking pug from the same era on ebay right now, but not cheap

Mmmh. That is old. 50s too at a guess.

There is a horrible steering lock on that and I would stay well clear of that contraption. From one of my tip finds:

11_rs-jpg.510174

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
After some more riding on Frannie:
Tarmac is handled very well, albeit not quite as good as a pure road bike. Nice & quick acceleration was a pleasant surprise. Cornering a big lazy compared to road bikes (even the slack audax Bojack).
Gravel riding is exceptional. smooth, stable, comfortable. This is the perfect gravel machine.

Offroad is poor to be honest. The BB is very low (a cm or two lower than my Bojack road bike), which makes it a great handling bike when rolling on a path (tarmac, gravel or hard packed soil) but as soon as I come off the path, it's pedal clipping time. Took the kids round the local country park, and clipped the pedal 3 times - that's with me being aware of the low BB drop and being extra careful not to clip! We didn't even hit the intermediate stuff, as the kids' offroad skills are close to zero. Other than the BB, the bike handles very well, but the BB is a real show stopper for any remotely aggressive riding.

The smooth tyres have no grip in wet mud, but that was to be expected.

I guess, my aim was to build a gravel bike - that has been overachieved. But I have to admit that I was secretly hoping for much more serious offroading capabilities. I guess I'll have to justify building up my rigid 26er to SWMBO ("But it's Oria OS DB tubing!" was not a good enough reason for the Mrs:rolleyes:).

• Love
Reactions: Woz
Back