Wester Ross tourer frame number 319

Chdot

Dirt Disciple
094C0572-1964-470F-B9AE-50059C773B8E.jpeg

Original bars re-attached for photo!

I bought this on eBay last year with my oldest grandchild in mind.

The frame is marked FGF so built by Fergus Forsyth rather than Loch Ewe Cycles’ founder John Connell.

There’s no suggestion that one was better than the other.

Date built 1982 or 3 (same age as next user’s parents!) so probably built in Whitby.

Not ‘cheap’ but what I considered to be a fair price. Anyway, how often do you come across a quality, classic, touring bike with a 17 1/2” frame?

Having looked at the spec in detail, maybe more of a bargain than I appreciated.

Classic TA triple - ‘the’ quality touring chainset of the time with a FAG Nadax Favorit BB. Not a model I was aware of, but seems to have been regarded as ‘top quality’ at the time.

Huret gears, ok, but actually Duopar, but not just any Duopar - the titanium version!

The wheels are Mavic with Maxi-Car hubs. Smoothest hubs I’ve ever come across.

“The recommended service schedule is once a year, so about as frequent as regular cup and cone hubs. The difference is in the life of the bearings – lasting over 100,000 miles or more according to cycling lore.”

https://restoringvintagebicycles.com/2019/11/17/overhauling-maxi-car-hubs-part-1-sigh/amp/

The brakes are Mafac cantilevers, probably the best at the time, but a bit lacking by ‘modern standards’.

The bike is destined to be used (again) and likely to be appreciated almost as much as by the original owner. So, some things will change.

The bars and stem are SR, which is a bit surprising as almost everything else is European. The bars are too narrow even for a 10 yo. Stem may need to be shorter or higher (or both).

The brakes will be almost certainly be replaced, rear not great even with new cables and SLR lever.

The wheels -

True and truly lovely but 27” so limited choice of tyre size/style - though more/better choice than a few years ago.

I’ve put 700c on plenty bikes over the years creating room for chunkier tyres.

Even with cantilever bosses for 27” wheels it’s usually easy to find cantis to work perfectly with 700c rims - I often use narrower rims than the original 27” ones, which helps.

I’ve got until Christmas.

Some other Wester Ross bikes https://www.facebook.com/groups/219508572753966/media/albums

095806EF-8D65-417F-821B-83067C08B5CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Still got a Nadax BB (Italian thread) in my box of spares. They would take all sorts of hanmmer through shitty winters without an issue, the helicoil axle seals were probably the best available at the time. With a fine pin spanner the sealing plate could be unwound and a basic bearing puller was all you needed to press out the axle and bearings for cleaning and regreasing. If you didn't have a puller a few light taps with a hammer on the end of the axle would do the trick.

Interesting

This may or may not be true - “The BB is difficult to dismantle when mounted, due to "very soft" aluminum.”

Hope i don’t need to find out!
Inaccurate in my opinion, I never had a problem. The main issue with them was that although a Campag/Ofmega type lock ring spanner fitted them, the spanners tended to chew up the alloy of the unit - they should really have been installed and removed with the rarer-than-hen's-teeth official Nadax spanner. They had a downside - they would corrode into a BB shell unless you kept on top of them by annually coating the threaded parts with an anti-corrosion grease.
FAG also made a plastic bodied cartridge BB which was worse than rubbish.

Back