Reverse retro-mod conversions ?

The only reverse retro I believe in is friction shifting compared to index shifting. I don't see the point of putting old bits on a new bike unless you're feeling nostalgic, or if you're doing a cheapo build with bits you've got laying about in the spares bin. I should clarify, that what I mean is that, I wouldn't understand taking off perfectly useable new components only to replace with older stuff.

Last Christmas my wife gave to me a Planet-X Jack Flash frame to build up for use at pump tracks with our daughter (on her BMX). I built it up with what was available in the spares bins, so it has a '92 LX crankset with a '90 Stronglight 36T chainring, spinning on an '89 XT cup and cone bottom bracket.

Last Christmas my wife gave to me a Planet-X Jack Flash frame to build up for use at pump tracks with our daughter (on her BMX). I built it up with what was available in the spares bins, so it has a '92 LX crankset with a '90 Stronglight 36T chainring, spinning on an '89 XT cup and cone bottom bracket.
Always liked Jack Flash frames. And I also happen to love spare parts builds. Pics of it?

I thought about getting a Surly Midnight Special and use mostly older parts like square taper bb and crankset. It only goes sofar though, because it only takes disc brakes and that means specific hubs as well. It has adapters so you don't need to use boost hubs but it is limiting. My point being that I eventually decided against it because you are bound to certain modern standards. I wish there were more options, especially for that frame, for which I have a soft spot.

You need to pick your victim. Surly had canti mounts till they decided to opt out the the true global travel game. Those you could fully fit up with good quality 80s kit!

I can see every point in taking modern rubbish off a frame and selling it for pin money, especially as many manufacturers now use the same frame with " upgraded" (cough) kit on each subsequent model. Buy the base model second hand, dump the parts and build with older better quality......got to be a thought.

Latest posts

Back