Retro-modern fusion gravel build madness. The new Superb!

No pictures of it out and about?
Forgot my phone at home, which is a pity, because kids took me up the local hill with some nice views.
I guess you'll have to wait until I fit the new cantis.
...And I haven't completely abandoned the brake-booster ideas yet...

Forgot my phone at home, which is a pity, because kids took me up the local hill with some nice views.
I guess you'll have to wait until I fit the new cantis.
...And I haven't completely abandoned the brake-booster ideas yet...
Ah well, something to look forward to!

This has been a project I've been looking forward to seeing finalised.

Also glad to hear all is well on your end :)

Quick brake experiment #1.
Cheapo cantis turned out to be surprisingly versatile and easy to adjust the pads. There's still some fiddling to do aligning the pads, but I am getting more mechanical advantage here. A bit more fiddling and filing will give me even higher mech advantage, but this got me thinking (and that's never good...Last time I got thinking resulted in a 1950s randonneuse frameset on my doorstep :LOL: ) that I might just try v-brakes... The stud - to - rim distance is too short to install Deore Vs in front, but I think they should fit in the back. I might just give it a try.

PXL_20230327_172124319.jpg

I think V-brakes will be an overkill in terms of mech advantage...

Anyway, took Frannie for a quick spin at lunchtime today. I'm really warming up to these Durifort tubes. They're ain't no gas pipe.
Funny to see Duri road bikes selling for £40+£30 shipped from France, while folks are asking £300-£400 for Columbus on UK ebay.

If I didn't have 2 road framesets waiting to be restored & built up, I'd go for a Durifort 700c audax frame without a second thought 🤔

• Love
Reactions: Woz
Since I'm no longer on good terms with my dentist (note to self: After she's done a filling, don't ask for a happy ending) I've sorted out the brakes. The noname (tektro?) jobbies are a joy to set up. Rear locks up if I want it to, with moderate braking force. Front is still not a 100%, but I'm upgrading it from "barely road-safe" to "good".

It could be that I'm just too excited about the new bike, or that I'm pleased to ride something other than my commuter, but Frannie's great.
Lighter than I expected, faster & better rolling than I expected, and more compliant than I expected. From my previous experience with WTB, they are light & fast, but only last a couple k miles, and are much more prone to punctures than road tyres, so I won't go as far as claiming that a randonneuse makes an audax bike obsolete.
She doesn't like being thrown into tight corners like a summer road bike, or even my Bojack, but the handling is very good.

Lots of wee things to tweak, as the evenings in the garden become warmer, but I'm loving the bike so far.
Would love to try a set of knobblies for some offroading.

PXL_20230402_153357816.jpg
PXL_20230402_153420311.jpg

Really great job there :cool: 🤗:D and great to hear it is riding well. Experiment / mad project success then!

I'm curious about a few things:
- what is the overall outer diameter of 650B with those tyres?
- what rim width are those?

Back