1936 Wards hawthorne Silver King project.

Prometheus":ipoxnt79 said:
So so so the right choice with the fork. I really really love this a lot. So much so that I even had a tentative look around for one myself but although I found other silver kings they didn't have the same beautiful proportions that yours has. :cool:

One small point though is that the clearance looks super tight on the front, or is just the angle of the pic? Is that your final tyre choice or would you be going for a slick cruiser tyre?

Either way I can't wait to see this finished...beautiful :D

Yes the front tire does look a bit close but that is a 2.35 Nevegal up front. The rear is a 2.1. I will be switching to cruiser tires at some point but I don't think clearance will be an issue. I found the perfect solution for the seatpost. Silver kings used an expander seatpost that works like a 1 inch quill stem. It has a wedge that expands inside the seat tube. These are hard to find and expensive. I found a 200mm 1 inch quill steerer that is basically the same thing and it cost 11 bucks.

This is an amazing build, I NEVER thought I'd like a pre-war bike but you're creating a work of art.

If I were wearing a hat I would doff it in your general direction. :D

Top work.

keithb":2m8akrnm said:
This is an amazing build, I NEVER thought I'd like a pre-war bike but you're creating a work of art.

If I were wearing a hat I would doff it in your general direction. :D

Top work.
Thanks. I still have some choices to make, I am not sure I like the stem but I like the handlebar which is a pre-war original from an Elgin. I got almost everything mounted and sat on it for the first time.
IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4736.jpg

The expanding seatpost was either too expensive or too hard to find so I made one out of an old 1 inch quill stem.
IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

I did not care for the big black clamp on the brake lever so I stripped and polished it.
IMG_5104.jpg

And I changed the handlebar:
IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

Next will be some red brick tires and some amber shellack for sealing the cork grips.

Why have I only just found this thread? :roll:

would someone please pm me with a message that reads...

"al would you get your ass over to readers mtb pre 1997 or else you will miss out on one of the best looking bikes ever"

Something like that anyway!!

Fantastic bike. :cool:

al.

Rio":36k8hah4 said:
looks great! how does the positioning on the bike feel?
Having only gone for a glide (no chain yet) I can't really say how it will feel pedaling but the position is nice and upright, feet almost flat on the ground with hands at mid torso level. Very comfortable. The long wheelbase makes it feel stable but turning it around takes some preparation. Overall I am very pleased, it is the perfect bike for cruising the beach and around the bay.

Magnificent! I had no idea anyone used aluminum in that era, great work polishing and I love how it turned out, congrats and well done!

Back