1991 ABM American (the American American)

PhillB

GT Fan
It's funny how you discover new bikes. Whilst I was aware of Breezer, I had not seen one in the flesh (or in the steel) until I was picking up a GT I bought from a member on here. He had a beautiful Jetstream in his collection and I made a note to keep an eye out for a Breezer. I subsequently bought two, both from members on here :) , but through Facebook Marketplace! I love them both and ride them regularly.

Of course you read about the history of the brand and the bikes and that's when I discovered American Bike Manufacturing and the American Breezer... Then an American was offered for sale on here by Tomac23 and I thought about it for a bit... I love a polished Alu bike, the welds looked amazing and I loved the slightly obscure history of ABM.

There's a small amount of information about them online, but mainly about Comp-Lites, American Breezer and M-16s.... this was an American....American. The 'entry' level model, but so good they named it twice.

But hardly anything about this model online online apart from a spec sheet, one photo, and a short article. (If you know of any more let me know!) So this picture and detail was my guide to building up the bike. By chance I already had a lot of the parts that I was collecting for another build, which will have to wait...:)

689ABM.jpeg

1989American.jpeg
So I bought it. Frame and Stem. (@Tomac23 packed it together so carefully, it's by far the best and most carefully packaged frame I've ever received! 👍)

I started to look for forks and quickly learned that Koski forks seem to be as rare as a Dog Milk Yoghurt so looked for something else that would work for a 1inch threaded headset with 140mm steerer.... I ended up with some generic Chrome forks... actually two.

The first set I bought needed to be cut, but after doing so I found that the interior diameter had diminished to 21mm, so the stem wouldn't fit... I've trashed forks before, but this is a new method...

The second set had a constant interior diameter and although they are nothing like Koskis, I think they work quite well. I'm still on the look-out for more suitable forks, while I ride it in the meantime.

This bike also has the first wheels I've ever built too. Some NOS Black XT M730/M732 Hubs laced to Ritchey Vantage Rims - building the wheels was easier than I expected, I actually really enjoyed it.

I fully intended to do a build thread, as I always intend to do. But as always I forget to take photos. I also already had the majority of the parts apart from the forks. And so, on one of those rainy Sunday's, when I was glum because I couldn't go out for a ride, I built the whole thing in a day in my cramped shed powered by black coffee, protein bars and Sasquatch Podcasts....

Here's how it turned out.
DSCF8911.jpeg
It came with some decals, which were actually for the Comp-Lite. But I liked the look of these ones, (which were actually for the Beryllium bike) from The Life Machine.. They also complement origanal decal that came on the Stem..I can't find any photos of an original American American with decals, I don't actually know if it had any...??

After a quick test ride, I had a fiddle with the rear brake cabling and re-adjusted the levers, seat etc....

IMG_3245.jpeg
A proper ride around the park.. and today, a 30km ride along the Thames....

IMG_3288.jpeg

It is a lovely bike to ride, despite the heavy front forks, it comes in at 10.5kg, not that I am a weight weenie, but it is smooth, solid, and comfortable to ride. I'm not sure why I was anxious about riding wheels I had carefully built (rather than some random ones I'd bought of eBay!!) but they are great. It's not harsh as some Alu bikes can be (so I read).

In many ways, this really is a Retrobike bike... The Frame, Stem, Thumbies, Brake Levers and I think the Crankset, all came from the Ad's on here at some point.... I think I will change the seat out for something more akin to the original style at some point, Although the Flite is my favourite saddle....

So, if you see one of these, I'd recommend it...or tell me please.... not that I need another bike... but I'd make space for another American :)

IMG_3298.jpeg

I wondered who bought that. Great looking bike! 😎 Proper 90s stem on that beauty.

Good luck trying to track down the correct pair of forks! 🤞 In the mean time enjoy as you have been doing! 😍

Another,
American American with non original tuning fork in forest terrain,
pic borrowed from the german forum.. frame changed ownership again since then.
2332710-ulhl9ve99hxc-americanamerican-large.jpg

@PhillB early A A frames had the short lived Army type font decals which in the eye of the original designer were the obscure NoGo ABM ran into....

Got see a teaser of this one early on!

I was also looking into Koski forks but when I saw the going prices and how rare they are I quickly changed my mind!!😇

@manuelschafer This non original tuning fork is the first time I see but looks very nice indeed! Who is making them?

On Mombat, 85,86 lists a tange unicrown fork as original and since "the american" is that model to replace "these montaneus" you dont have to look for a koski unless it turns up reasonable ..

exporting to other countries ABM not usually supplied them on other bikes than their breezers "at stock" anyway

enjoy the every ride

ps
....bloody christmass days this year.....

pps
well american didnt export whole bikes on routine either, so mostly framesets which would mean frames with stems

a bit funny to recall the american decals being connected to the handyfull "beryllium models" but if you love the ride that much ok, :D
your decal size looks a fraction bigger than normal at most....

Last edited:
Another,
American American with non original tuning fork in forest terrain,
pic borrowed from the german forum.. frame changed ownership again since then.
View attachment 806326

@PhillB early A A frames had the short lived Army type font decals which in the eye of the original designer were the obscure NoGo ABM ran into....
Yes, I read something on a forum somewhere about that, from the original font designer. He was not happy 😄. I decided to go with the font that went on their Beryllium bike as its design aligned with how I wanted the finished bike to look.

The blue anodised bike in your photo is lovely.

On Mombat, 85,86 lists a tange unicrown fork as original and since "the american" is that model to replace "these montaneus" you dont have to look for a koski unless it turns up reasonable ..

exporting to other countries ABM not usually supplied them on other bikes than their breezers "at stock" anyway

enjoy the every ride
That’s good to know. An American Breezer is my unicorn bike.. 😀

Hello Phill,
What is your experience with the decals you have bought at thelifemachine.com?
Is the quality good?
Can you recommend this company?
Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Hello Phill,
What is your experience with the decals you have bought at thelifemachine.com?
Is the quality good?
Can you recommend this company?
Thanking you in advance for your advice.
Hi Crossmax,

Yes, I have been very happy with them. I've bought quite a lot of decals from them, they seem to offer a range for bikes I cannot find elsewhere, plus they will customise too. I've bought decals for 4 frames and a number of rim decals. Quality is good and certainly on a par with the other suppliers I have used.

Prices are good too. The Life Machine guys are based in Indonesia, so shipping takes about 14 days.

I would recommend. I'll certainly be using them again, already planning to talk to them about some customised decals for a future build.

Cheers

Phill

Borrowed from the German forum from someone otherwise very groovy/groove oriented ;),
although these decals were original that shiny, the right size seems always a good idea when getting material,

Maybe ABM did bigger decalsets though, like other companies today - who knows!
1708428333879.png

Back