Roberts XKII - Spare Parts Build.

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
This one has been around me for several years, just hung up really. Father in law, (a nice old fella) wants to ride with my youngest, and kept ringing me on BSOs he had seen for sale on his travels. All of which were total dross and really only fit for the river.

So after several conversations, I said ill have a look to see if I can cobble something together that might be suitable.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has loads of stuff around that just wont get used on builds, all tired looking, corroded, worn and certainly not show and shine, or in some cases even usable. (you know the sort of stuff we hold onto for spare parts, just in case....LOL)

The idea really was to build it out of these parts, and after looking I realised I had enough to assemble a bike.

Trouble is when you are hanging it on a Roberts, it has to look right as well as work, so with no money to spend I came up with this.

And I wont lie, everything used needed some real tidying up, the wheels needed truing and hubs greasing and polishing, everything was oxidised and flat looking with no shine at all, all of it needed polishing and fettling, a mix of old Deore DX with a little XT thrown in, all polished/painted and now functioning.
I had some usable Onza tyres, a spare pair of ODi attack grips, a rough Bontrager bar and an Odessey Stem, a really worn-out XT seat post, and I might have finally found a use for the Rolls Saddle (Labelled LOOK), that I have tried on several builds, but never quite sat right.

Anyway, aside from some rather nice 2mm cable, there's been no spend, and with only tons of spit and polish, and a box of chuck away parts, it will go again, and stay in the family with light duties making fond memories.

I wont lie, when I started I had little faith, but it turned out ok in then end, and has got to be better than any of the river bound BSOs, that could have been.

Chas Roberts XK II
(bought from the original owner, made for his size, so some small changes from the blue print to accommodate, and then stored for years)

Frame- Chas Roberts XKII
Fork- Chas Roberts XKII
Bar- Titec-Bontrager
Stem- Odessey
Headset- Shimano Deore
Seatpost- Shimano Deore XT
Saddle- Selle Italia Rolls/Look
Rims- Formula DX23 by Mavic
Hubs- Shimano Deore DX
Spokes- DT
Block/Freewheel- Shimano Deore DX
Cranks- Shimano Deore XT
Chainrings-Shimano Deore XT
Front Mech- Shimano Deore DX
Rear Mech- Shimano Deore XT
Brake Levers- Shimano Deore XT
Gear Levers- Shimano Deore DX thumbshifters
Grips- ODI Attack
Cables- Shimano Deore XT SLR/SIS
Front Brake- Shimano Deore XT
Rear brake- Shimano Deore XT
Wheel and Seatpost Q/Rs- Shimano
Tyres- Onza Porcupine.
Toe Clips and Straps- Mt Christophe. thumbnail_IMG_9475 (2).jpg thumbnail_IMG_9477 (2).jpg thumbnail_IMG_9480 (2).jpg thumbnail_IMG_9484 (2).jpg thumbnail_IMG_9481 (2).jpg

Jeez Carl, what a fantastic job. I really wasn't expecting something so pretty after reading your introduction, but I should've know better. Do you still use the old washing machine for polishing duties?

What's the story with the rims. I don't think I know them.

Cheers fellas, but honestly, it really was a cobble together, I couldn't tell you where the wheels came from, some random bike saved for parts years ago I think that I found at the back of the shed, they are double wall but no eyelets, honestly i thought they were too far gone to use, but they are ok.
I do have a machine polisher, but its not bolted down anywhere at the moment, so I had to do the best i could with elbow grease and a can of Brasso.

The paint on the frame was quite tidy really with only the odd touch ups needing doing, one decal is scratched which is a shame, but i have pencilled it in. Tyres were ok to go again getting a little brittle so several long sessions on the sidewalls with boot polish helped rejuvenate a tad.

I did want it to look tidy for him, he knew the Roberts Name which was nice, he automatically said "Blimey, that's far too good for my needs", Bless him.

I'm sure he will get some easy use from it, and smile because its a Roberts.
Its not Year correct or anything, from memory the frame is an 88, so the parts really are too new, but, with him as the motivation, and the interest here on another thread ref this model, it pushed me to find the time to sort out and fettle all the parts that have been laying to waste.

Surprisingly I think the Gold Lettering with the saddle colour and me working those tyres with boot polish has helped it look quite well really. thumbnail_IMG_9490.jpg

Last edited:
That's a stunning bike! Great job you have done there.

Where do you get the 2mm cable? I am looking for some of that...

thank you. and here you go.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Reactions: JCS
Have to say, the description is misleading, I was looking forward to seeing some tatty frame coupled with exage and altus....

You put us all to shame for a parts bike loaner

😉

Have to say, the description is misleading, I was looking forward to seeing some tatty frame coupled with exage and altus....

You put us all to shame for a parts bike loaner

😉
Sorry, it wasnt by design, had I thought about it I should have put all the bits in a pile and took a pic, that too looked fit for the river.

I was a little short on time this week too, so just pressed on with it for father in law, and wanted to post here because of the frame being a XKII, and the member Thame Game having the same frame and I promised I would show him.

It does warrant better condition parts really, Pedals have been stripped and polished, Cages repainted, Cranks split, polished again rings painted.
The bars really need to be either refinished or replaced they are letting it down, the seat post too is really rough and now tidied up, good enough for use as long as its not going up and down, but it still locks in so it can be used.

It did make me realize though I do have a lot of rubbish around me, and I need to have a clear-out..

:oops:

Back